Welcome Guest: Login | It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:47 am

Board index Development & Design Rigs & Sails Change to centreboard and rudder design

Moderator: Sabre

Change to centreboard and rudder design

Postby HelterSkelter on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Since entering the class I have noticed the boat is difficult to tack in lumpy seas and will stall as it goes through the wind. I have looked at the relationship between the centreboard and rudder and it is wrong. The centreboard is too wide and in certain circumstances doesn't allow the rudder to control the turning moment of the boat and also causes a greater rolling moment.
These problems can be corrected by the centreboard being 75mm less in width and 125mm longer and the rudder being 75mm longer. These adjustments will alter the forces applied by the centreboard and create greater interaction between the respective foils. The boat will be more reactive and forgiving.
Has consideration been given to this issue.
HelterSkelter
HelterSkelter

Re: Change to centreboard and rudder design

Postby Richard Jackson 1660 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Change to centreboard and rudder design
by HelterSkelter on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Since entering the class I have noticed the boat is difficult to tack in lumpy seas and will stall as it goes through the wind. I have looked at the relationship between the centreboard and rudder and it is wrong. The centreboard is too wide and in certain circumstances doesn't allow the rudder to control the turning moment of the boat and also causes a greater rolling moment.
These problems can be corrected by the centreboard being 75mm less in width and 125mm longer and the rudder being 75mm longer. These adjustments will alter the forces applied by the centreboard and create greater interaction between the respective foils. The boat will be more reactive and forgiving.
Has consideration been given to this issue.
HelterSkelter

Since buying a foiling moth I have not had this problem anymore, that was my consideration :twisted: :lol:
Richard Jackson
Sabre 1660
www.bluemarine.com.au
Richard Jackson 1660

Return to Rigs & Sails