Amatuers building from foam/glass

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Amatuers building from foam/glass

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

I have read this thread with interest, but it appears to me at the end of the day if the Sabre is going to survive and be relevant in the future then it needs to be as much as possible a One-Design boat.

This is best achieved by using current fibreglass boats as the template; I think it is that simple.
    Anything else is opening up something that just does not need to be, other than, for those who would use rules to try and gain an advantage, I could see no reason to have lots of slightly different shaped boats.

rochelledover74
    Participant

@Aten wrote:

I think this has been said before but a simple solution would be to only use real ply boats for the molds. This will ensure special Manipulation can not take place. Perhaps even have the boats registered for at least a year before a mold can be taken to ensure it is a real sabre.

Not such a bad idea, certainly better option, but I would have to agree with others, why when there are aready so many glass boats would you want to use a wooden one unless you where trying to gain an advantage, which is simple not what the Sabres are about.

Sure we need some flexibility in home built wood boats, but it has no place or is it nessesery in glass boat production. It is far better to have all the boats the same and with glass this can be achieved and should be.

BruceG
    Participant

Sabres are actually about building reasonably priced boats from ply. What we are trying to do here is accommodate glass boats in the rules and achieve the same thing. The only significant thing I have seen so far that glass boats do better is cost more. I do not think that second hand boats selling for over $15000 is what sabres are about.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.