Botterill Sabre bulkhead replacement

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Botterill Sabre bulkhead replacement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    deannev255
    Participant

I’m wondering if anyone has experience replacing the wooden bulkhead under the mast step on a Botterill fibreglass Sabre?

The bulkhead on my Sabre is rotting and needs replacement but access is limited to the two inspection hatches in the front bulkhead.

It looks like I’ll need to cut two large holes in the fibreglass either side of the mast step but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Ilan
    Soriaya 1360

kakao
    Participant

Hi Ilan
    I see you haven’t had much help. I’ve never tried it but I think you should be able to do it by using a build up of narrow sections small enough to pass through the inspection hatches. I know some professionals glass the deck on that way so the mast support should be possible. You would glass the sections in place with a slight overlap so that the whole thing becomes one stiff panel. For the top of the panel try putting the resin on first then applying the glass to it. It might work well for the ends too.
    All the Best
    Harold Medd

BruceG
    Participant

Just saw this post. I think Harold is on the money. With careful planning you should be able to pass ply through the inspection ports. Removing the inspection ports will give you more room and you could possibly upsize them too. Cutting holes is an option but unless you know what you are doing it probably won’t look pretty when you are done. I build fibreglass Sabres so if you want advice give me a call. Craig 0417172453. Where abouts are you located?

jaredwindeyer38
    Participant

Currently doing 2 boats now that have had the bulkheadsrot away. I’ve cut a hole in the deck to get the new ply and paulownia support in. I’ll glue the cut out part of the deck back on and paint it when finished.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.