2013 Review of Sabre rules

Home Forums Other Stuff Rules 2013 Review of Sabre rules

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    efren9096182841
    Participant

….couldn’t agree with you more Ashley,Barry is 100% correct and deserves a bit more respect..Hulls,whatever they may be have to measure up,simple.

Get off the line quicker,pick a better wind shift….stop moaning,sail faster !!

BruceG
    Participant

Has anyone noticed that these new rules are written by and for a (the) fibreglass boat builders?

rochelledover74
    Participant

@Aten wrote:

Has anyone noticed that these new rules are written by and for a (the) fibreglass boat builders?

Yep and I ask what is the advantage to the class, I can only see disadvantages.

Here is a sneak preview of the Sabre of the future!! :D

[attachment=0:20ee07hp]4294489.jpg[/attachment:20ee07hp]

lucasa103380
    Participant

This has all become a bit silly.

The rule changes don’t do much other than remove provisions that add cost for no good reason, are redundant or have never been applied (like the reference to approved moulds). This should provide more clarity, not less. As far as I can tell the drafters of the rule changes overwhelmingly have the long-term interests of the class at heart and deserve to be given more respect, as Ashley points out.

Even with the tolerances in the existing rules, there is not that much difference between the boats. The Sabre is just too slow for a “super boat” to make a difference. Most of the top end of the fleet sail more or less the same boat, and there are plenty of new YMS boats at the back end of the fleet as well (all based on the same proven wooden boat), so equipment is clearly not the issue. As far as I can tell many new boat purchases reflect the ageing demographics of the sabre fleet as people treating themselves to a well-deserved new toy (often in retirement!) rather than trying to buy results. I can not see any of this changing just because a rule that has never been applied is removed from the book.

Of course boat builders have been consulted on the rule changes – they are the ones who have to work with them, and if anything their incentive is to maintain stability in the class so that they don’t have to waste money on expensive development and new tooling. All this talk of chequebook sailing and greedy builders is just silly – has anyone ever met a rich boatbuilder?

BruceG
    Participant

At the current price of a new FRP Sabre hull I wold reckon I could get rich building them. I am even considering doing such. I would guess the builders would be making at least $4000 gross profit from a unfitted hull and could buid one a week. Add some foils and a few extras and make that $5k a week.
    I ccould be wrong though. Once the new rulles are sorted and there is some stability I would guess some competition will bring the price down as long as they get a good set of rules and a “super boat” doesn’t spoil the whole Sabre show.

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hello – when will the outcome of the special agm be available?
    S

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Where to now!

Now the Resolutions have been passed, we must work within them whether we agree or not.

We must hope that those who have charged themselves with drafting the text of the Rules understand the preciseness required. Certainly the Resolutions were loosely written despite comments by members pointing out problems in the early stages. These comments were largely ignored. After speaking with builders I am not convinced there was meaningful input from this sector.

An issue not addressed is the need to have the same the same design of centre thwart, form of bracing of the centre board case and mast step web in the FRP hull. As these are now designed the FRP hull is favoured.

Similarly the proposal for two datum points does not reference one to the other which can be overcome by careful wording the Rule.

These are just a couple of issues and there are others.

I must concede it had become necessary to change the Rules to correct very haphazard administration of the Rules in the past and credit must be given to those who have started the process. Now it has fallen on this generation of Sabre sailors to ensure it is done properly.

The time has come for the Class to adopt a proper set of one-design principles and rules to strengthen our Class and make it more desirable than present to become part of our Class.

This can only happen if all members play their part in their respective State Associations and let their voice be heard.

Alan Wilson
    HelterSkelter 1906

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Rules’ is closed to new topics and replies.