Chain plates

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Chain plates

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hello.

I’m wondering do you bend the tops of the chain plates to suit the angle that the shrouds would approach at ?
    I bought ronstan fitting Rf488 and it’s straight. It looks quite solid and thick and would probably handle being straight without bending considering you only just have the hole 3 mm above the deck. I’m also considering tig welding a saddle to the front chain plate as a tie off point for trailering as I don’t see another way ?
    All help appreciated
    Cheers

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

At YMS we use an RF 192 for the bowplate but turn it upside down so the large hole is down and then when you screw it in (with a dob of epoxy on each screw) then those hole spacings will allow you to add a small but strong saddle (RF 94) at the same time. The top of plate is then aligned to forestay angles. This is a lighter plate than the RF488 which we use those only on our Fireballs which carry over 450 kgs rig tension. I reckon you could scale down to the RF 192 on your sidestays too….and yes to bending them inwards to suit rig. Chainplates are the norm for Timber boats as it suits that construction method better, while world norm for FRP is loop saddles as less chance of leaking. If you use saddles on a timber boat you’ll lose your gunnales.

Hope this helps.

regards

Youngi

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Good advice youngi. RF488 would hold my austral 20 mast up. Will check out those fittings recommended by you tomoz at Darwin yacht shop. Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.