Choosing the right Sabre

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Choosing the right Sabre

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jeffreystahl
    Participant

I am a newbie having registered on the site today. I have been sailing for 30 years and have sailed sabots and cats (Maricats and Hobie 16). Now the children are leaving sailing, I have done some research over the last few weeks and have settled on the Sabre to be the right boat for my needs. I have not however yet seen or sailed one but I see they are sailed at Cleveland and Southport YC. I am very interested in buying a vgc boat with f/glass/wooden hull and varnished cockpit/deck with a good road trailer. I will be joining the SSAA and Cleveland YC in the next couple of weeks, but in the meantime I will be looking around for a good Sabre. Can any member offer me advice on what in particular to look for/be aware of when looking for a used Sabre? I am looking to spend around $2000. Many thanks in advance for your help and the great website!

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

i dont see how you could get a competitive boat to those in the top 15 of the national titles for $2000.00 with a trailer included my experience has been that as boats are sailed regularly they tend to loose stiffness and gain weight- i think that you would expect to pay around $3000-$4000 for a boat that has any chance of making the top 30- sure i have been told that a really hot sailor could win with just a bed sheet but the newer the boat the more frisky the hull is my opinion

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi David

First of all, welcome to the sabre association. You have chosen a truly great boat to sail and I hope you find a boat that’s right for you real soon.

I tend to agree with Peter that you will find it hard to find a good glass boat for $2000 let alone with a trailor.
    But, I disagree that you need to pay more money just to be competative.
    It’s more phychological to have a newer stiffer boat. You can have the latest, stiffest, fastest sabre, but if you miss a windshift the guy in the oldest sabre will win. It’s all about where you put your boat on the water. That’s how Wayne Bates won this years title. That’s how Alan Riley won last year and finished second this year. Yeah, there’s some tuning etc on boats but these two blokes are tactically solid as a rock!!!

If your top dollar is $2000, find a boat for that price. Check out the boats for sale on the forum.

Hope to see you on the water sometime.

Cheers

Andrew
    Tassie Team Q.L.D.
    1445 Outtared

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi, welcome to Sabres in Qld.

I know of a Sabre for sail that is good condition. It is #1494, and I think the owner, Phil Briggs is asking $1500 for the boat, no trailer.
    Also, I have a trailer for sale that has been used for Sabre trailing, and any cradle would be able to be fitted to it. I am about to change my trailer rego to Qld (from ACT my ‘state of origin’) and would expect to sell it for $500. It has a spare wheel with it, and all tyres are in good condition.

So, if you would like to follow up with these, you could call Phil at home anytime on 3245 3265, and myself on 3393 6827 (ah).

I am one of the Cleveland Sabre sailors and look forward to meeting you. The CYC website has a claendar. The next race day is Sunday 29 January.

See you at the club,

Sue

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

Is that you ? I thought you were still in NSW – are you now living in Cleveland Qld ? Planning on coming up there next Xmas so it will be good to catch up again

Fiona McCulloch

jeffreystahl
    Participant

Sue

Many thanks for your reply. In fact I bought 1494 yesterday from Phil! She is in very good condition. Phil is a true gentleman and has a wealth of experience. I’ll call you about the trailer asap. See you Sunday 29/1.

jeffreystahl
    Participant

Many thanks for all of your helpful replies and encouragement. I feel very welcome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.