Considering buying a Sabre

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Considering buying a Sabre

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dominicvalazquez
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’m considering buying a Sabre and have a few questions.

At 90 KG, am I too heavy to be competitive at championship level?

I’m a bit lazy when it comes to maintenance, so I’m leaning towards a fibreglass boat. If I opt to buy a second-hand boat, is a YMS manufactured boat considered to be the best option. Again, I’d like to be competitive at championship level.

If I go for a new boat, considering I live on the Sunshine Coast, who should I contact to purchase a race-ready Sabre?

Cheers,
    Ronan Collins.

BruceG
    Participant

Get a Sabre. You will love it.
    I am just over 90kg and got 20th overall in the last nationals sailed mostly in moderate weather. My best result, 6th, was in the lightest race that was completed. My next best result, 11th, was is 35 kont gusts. They have a trophy for over 90kg in the Nationals. That got me a nice Ronstan watch. :D .
    Any YMS should be fast (they have won the last 9 nationals) and have proven longevity. You should use one of the stiffer mast sections like a Binks and have a reasonably full sail. My sail is made by Hill Sails in W.A. and performs superb in all conditions.
    My hull is built from the original YMS moulds which I now own. If you are looking for a new boat I will be able to sort that out for you.

Craig

darrelcani806
    Participant

Hi Ronan
    Don’t be concerned at your 90kg, my sailmaker who weighs over 90kg sailed my boat in the recent QLD States on Lake Cootharaba and considering he had sailed the boat once before finished second in the Championships which were sailed in light to moderate conditions. I live at Glass House Mountains and have a Formula Sailcraft glass hull.
    You are welcome to come down and have a coffee and chat any time.
    Cheers
    Alan Wilson

dominicvalazquez
    Participant

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. It’s time I got shopping.

I may be in touch if I need further advice.

Cheers,
    Ronan.

latanyaragsdale
    Participant

hi Ronan,
    How has the shopping been going? The Sailboat Shop in Sydney is looking to get some Red Tip Hulls in the next container coming into Australia.
    http://www.thesailboatshop.com.au also carries stock of Keeley masts / boom sections and all the bits required to get you a Sabre on the water.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.