Depth of centrecase bulkhead

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Depth of centrecase bulkhead

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    yimim
    Participant

I’m having a bit of trouble getting the tops of the centrecase bulkhead to line up with the top of the side panels, as they are protruding above it unless the bulkhead is modified in overall height. the construction guide talks about trimming the B/H to get a good fit, but this seems a bit beyond trimming, and I am having to keep rule 2.6b in mind

2.6 b. The depth of the centrecase bulkhead shall be within the specified limits when measured from the top of the keel to the top of the foredeck.

On this measurement, is the “top of the keel”, actually the top of the keel (line) at the bulkhead (since the keel timber doesn’t extend to the bulkhead), or does it actually mean from some point along the actual keel timber?

kakao
    Participant

Sorry. I should have responded earlier. The measurement you refer to is taken from the keel. That is the outside of the hull. Just measure inside and add the thickness of the ply. It only refers to the centre so you can trim the bulkhead at the sides to come flush with the decks at the gunwale.

Harold Medd
    SSAA National Measurer.

lenfly
    Participant

Hi csim,

I agree with your interpretation of rule 2.6b. It clearly states that it is measured from the top of the keel. I have asked the National MEasurer to check official templates to confirm the correct interpretation.

Regards,
    John Campbell
    QLD Measurer

yimim
    Participant

Ok, so rather than from “keel”, its from the keel.

yimim
    Participant

@harold wrote:

Sorry. I should have responded earlier. The measurement you refer to is taken from the keel. That is the outside of the hull. Just measure inside and add the thickness of the ply. It only refers to the centre so you can trim the bulkhead at the sides to come flush with the decks at the gunwale.

Harold Medd
    SSAA National Measurer.

Hi Harold – on another post you mentioned using Cedar on everything except the gunwale caps. Can you suggest the right cedar section for the side tank tops (rather than hardwood)?

Cheers

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.