Foils

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Foils

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Are hydrofoils able to be used on Sabres ??

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Hydrofoils are not allowed under the Sabre Class rules.

Regards,

Maree Early
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Sabre Sailing Association of Australia

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

g’day,
    that wouldn’t be such a bad idea would it. i dunno if sabres would be light enough, or if its in the best intrests of the class. try it though it would be good publicity for the class and would be a good joke to show people. ive also thought about it. another idea would be a trapese and a rotating mast. and areoplane wings so it will fly around. also add on out riggers so it will be a trimaran. and put on a jib. and a mast head assemetric.

nah seriously. if hydrofoils are what you want think about a moth. if your still keen on foils for a sabre i reckon you should fit them for one sail around but make sure you take lots of pictures

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

i knew a guy who added 50% to a lasers sail area mostly to the mast not sure about the boom and fitted out riggers do it- it was real nice in 5 to 10 knots so he thought he would take it out in 20 knots well i watched from the cliffs at daveys Bay near frankston – the sheer force on the outrigger caused the whole thing to vibrate out of control till with one bang the whole laser self destructed -apart from a few bruises from flying debris the skipper was ok. It was atleast ten years ago i think the outrigger was made from 50 mil boom sections bolted to the deck-it was built by Bob Brunton a very good laser and flying fifteen sailor whose son Paris sailed David Wood’s “Direct Wind Power” sabre for 4 seasons a few years ago

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Try it!! we need some different opinions and publicity on Sabres!!!

Rocket Man 1717

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.