Older Boat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mitchgearhart2
    Participant

Hi All

I have got myself a Sabre that seems in reasonable order, although there are quite a few jobs to do, perhaps over Winter.

So while I’ve been thinking about them and flicking through the measurement and building rules, I’ve noticed a couple of things (keeping in mind this boat has been measured previously in approx 91/92.

There are minimum and maximum measurements given for say the thwart and floor batterns, keel etc..all my measurements are over dimension….couple of mm, e.g Maximum 50 x 19, mine might be for example 53 x 22.
    I realise over the years standard timber sizes has changed, getting smaller etc.. Is this the reason? Will the boat still measure?

Also Floor Batterns, if I read right, there is a minimum of 4, and must pass through the centrecase bulkhead 25mm, I am assuming the centre bulkhead is the main cockpit bulkhead in front of the centrecase. In my case, I only have 2 floor batterns and either pass through the bulkhead…

I think its all advances in the construction over the years, but want to be sure, my floor batterns are coming away from the floor, so if I replace them, do I replace whats there, or add the additional 2 and fit through the bulkhead for example.

Cheers Matt, Sabre 766 (I think either 766 or 166)

darrelcani806
    Participant

Is the hull wooden or Glass

mitchgearhart2
    Participant

Ahhh…sorry.. Timber hull, weighed it this morning at 48kg, I think by reducing the sizes of timbers to the minimum could shave a couple off, but if I had to add another 2 floor batterns I’ll end up about the same anyway.

kakao
    Participant

Hi Matt

If the boat has already been measured there is no need for a re measurement unless you effect significant changes.
    In Victoria when we measure an older boat we allow for rules which were in force at the time.
    The latest rule changes state that material sizes are given as a guide only and are not mandatory.

The probability is that your boat has a 5mm ply hull. I am told that 5 mm ply disappeared from the market so more battens were added. Hope that helps.

Harold Medd
    State Measurer Victoria

mitchgearhart2
    Participant

Thanks Harold..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.