Proposal to change the Rules of Measurement

Home Forums Other Stuff Rules Proposal to change the Rules of Measurement

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

With respect to towl rails, There is nothing wrong with them. As long as you have access to someone who can TIG weld, they cost stuff all to get made.

If you dont like the nylon slide fitting like Binks Marine make, you can add a small stainless slide fitting.

Before you make the Towl rail, get a 30-35mm length of stainless tube just bigget than the rail. A Largish (RF618 or 619 I think I used) Standard D Shackle is welded with the tube sitting in the bottom of the U so that the shackle stands up at right angles to the Rail when fitted. The shackle holds the sail. Simple and no wear on the sail.

You can get fancy and drill out the pin holes to take a Toggle Pin (RF115x1) and also add a smaller shackle RF150 or similar, welded at 45deg up and to the rear of the main shacle to hold a small pully block for the outhaul.

Anyway, just a thought.

If anyone wants to see one, send me your email address and I will send a pic

Willy . . .

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Esteemed gentlemen,

When will the outcome of the rule change ballott be known and advised to members?
    How will this communication be made?

Winnie the Pooh

dulciechristense
    Participant

The formal process for notification of the results of the ballot on the rules changes is that the National Secretary (me) advises the members of the National Associaton (the five State Associations) of the results via the State Secretaries.

The informal process of advising the general membership will be by posting on this web site.

The ramifications of the changes (if any) will be incorporated in the measurement rules and the building guide in consultation with the national and state measurers. At the same time I propose that the rules will be consolidated into a document that will reflect all the rules (including the so-called “hidden” ones), providing a reference for the measurers, the general membership and prospective Sabre purchasers and be posted on this website.

The rules will continue to be published in the Building Guide which is and will continue to be updated before each reprint. The full building guide will be made available to interested parties. Non-members will pay a premium which will provide one year’s state association membership. Current members will pay about $30 at current costs of publication and distribution. A new sail number and building licence for one boat will add another $30 at current rates.

margart4170
    Participant

Has there been any progress in incorporating these 2 documents into 1 and making them available to all Sabre owners, free of charge preferably via this website.

I have a rather old Sabre, over 25 years old which did not come with the original building notes.
    I do have access to a set of building notes from my father’s Sabre, very basic, and still in feet and inches. I suspect that there have been several modifications and changes over the years.

As per previous comments, can not see any reason to have a set of ‘secret’ rules.

Woodwind

dulciechristense
    Participant

I am currently seeking agreements to publication of the full building guide on the website (there are apparently issues with copyright and payment of royalties to the original designer of the Sabre, Rex Fettell.)

I do anticipate the recently revised rules and measurements will be posted in the very near future – keep an eye on the Rules & Measurement section on the National page.

Incidentally, there are no hidden rules for the Sabre and there never have been; they are up-to-date on all new sail number issues, but for many with older boats or lack of access to a current set of rules there may be a problem.

There has always been a bit of a problem with rules and measurements not being listed in an orderly manner but I believe we have overcome (crossed fingers) this in the recent review.

Measurers have current Building Guides incorporating Measurements and Rules and will respond to queries.

Alternatively, send me $30 ($60 for non-members) and I will post you a full set by return mail. Another $30 gets you a new sail number for that new boat you are contemplating.

Fair winds
    Mike Simpson

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Rules’ is closed to new topics and replies.