Roof Racks

Home Forums Other Stuff General News Roof Racks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lorrieoconor5
    Participant

Hey there! I am currently investigating into if I can transport a sabre on the roof racks of a small car (Barina).
    If anyone out there could give me some insight into this option it would be of great help. I can’t tow as my car doesn’t allow for a towbar, Some of you may suggest getting another car which can tow but this is currently not an option.

Regards Julian
    Genki 692

BruceG
    Participant

It’s all about the load ratings. Dont forget to consider the trolley and all the other gear that may be on the roof. Make sure they are good quality racks. I know a guy who took a Cherub from WA to Victoria on his roof rack and they are heavier with more windage than a Sabre.
    Some of the brands of roof racks out there cost nearly as much as a Barina. I have seen some good quality reasonable priced ones out there though.
    Is the Barina roof wide enough to fit a Sabre on?
    Sabre on top of a Barina would be impressive to see. Make sure you post a photo if manage to do it.
    Craig

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi. Further to Aten’s comments you would need to consider the up lift on the racks when travelling at speed. I reckon you would also need to attach some timber stud to the racks you buy as the racks may be narrower than the boat. The mast and boom could be carried in a bracket that could be inserted into the centre case and another that uses the rudder pintles maybe ? I’m assuming boat is carried deck down of course. The trolley will be an issue. You may need to rig on grass or blanket.
    Cheers

darrelcani806
    Participant

Julian I was following a Barina yesterday and frankly I consider it would be dangerous to carry any boat on roof racks atop a Barina. The car is too small and I doubt the roof construction would be strong enough to cope with the forces that would be applied. Weight wise probably no trouble but the mathematics of balance and aero affects are not in your favour even at 60kph. This is based on the boat being on its trolley with the trolley attached to the roof racks.

aletheamarra7
    Participant

Many, many years ago, (1972?), the road to Western Australia was unsealed for 300 kms or so. It could take 10 hours to cross it. Nevertheless intrepid (read young and stupid) New South Welshmen, (Skate and VJ sailors) regularly made the trip with boats on roof racks. On one occasion, according to legend, one pair of brothers managed to roll their car in the middle. I’m told that they surveyed the damage and simply walked away and left it there.?? There was no sign of it two or three years later when I made the crossing. (We were smarter, we put two VJ’s on a box trailer!!) The point of all this is the bulk of a sabre on the roof of a Barina will almost certainly lead to a rollover. Very nasty.

lorrieoconor5
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the advice.

BruceG
    Participant

Maybe you could put the barina onto your sabre. Might be a better fit! Haha.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General News’ is closed to new topics and replies.