Sabre or Mirror?

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Sabre or Mirror?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nicolas5178
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m grappling with the decision of what dinghy to buy. I am new to sailing and will probably need to do a lot of my early sailing singleghanded.
    Can I learn in a Sabre, or am I better to get a Mirror because it is more stable? I was told the Sabres are more ‘tippy’?
    I accept I will probably take a swim either way but I would like to spend more time in the boat than out of it if possible! I am a late thirties Mum of around 70kg.
    Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Melissa

dulciechristense
    Participant

Melissa

Your choice of a boat involves consideration of many factors.

Your current options are really quite different boats.

If you intend to go racing, the Sabre would be favoured as it is presently more popular, especially in Victoria and particularly in Gippsland – GLYC at Paynesville has quite a large fleet.

Mirrors have been in decline for many years – in my club in the seventies we had 250 Mirrors on our register and had racing fleets averaging 75 boats – we now have about four in the racks and only one or two racing.

The Sabre will offer much more thrilling sailing than the Mirror but in absolute terms is never-the-less a very stable and easy-to-sail boat.

A Sabre, new or secondhand, will cost a good deal more than a Mirror but resale will be proportionally greater.

Maintenance requirements would be similar for each.

Both are simple and easy to rig.

They weigh about the same – perhaps the Sabre is a little lighter!

Your weight is ideal for the Sabre.

Your age is no barrier – Sabre sailors range from 15 to 90.

Other considerations:
    Do you want to take the kids racing?
    Do you have a long haul to the water?
    Are there facilities near you to learn to sail? Most Clubs have learners programs regularly thru’ the season and a few thru’ the winter as well.
    Find someone independent and knowledgable to advise you on your purchase – many Sabres and Mirrors are quite old and can harbour serious weaknesses.

Whatever else you do – JOIN A CLUB. It will add significantly to your sailing experiences.

Regards
    Mike Simpson

nicolas5178
    Participant

Thanks Mike,
    I have decided on the Sabre, subject to a test sail, and will be joining the GLYC in Paynesville – a great bunch.
    Apart from rotten wood, any tips on what I should look out for when assessing an older boat?
    Thanks for your feedback – this is a fantastic forum – I have spent several hours reading previous posts and can’t wait to get more involved.
    Cheers,
    Mel

dulciechristense
    Participant

Our local measurer John Foley may be able to check out boats near the GLYC – call him on 5156 0048.

If the prospective purchase is in Melbourne or nearby give me a call on 9899 7410 and I’ll organise someone to have a look for you.

MRS

nicolas5178
    Participant

Thanks Mike,
    If you or anyone knows anything about Sabre 555 at Blairgowrie (named Prime Risk) I would love to hear please…
    Do you have anyone up that way who might be willing to take a look for me please?
    Thanks so much for the help,
    Mel 0488 205 496

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.