Sheave Fitting at the top of the mast

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Sheave Fitting at the top of the mast

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    leonardo84d
    Participant

The standard block fitting in the fit-out at the top of the mast is the RF452. Is this wide enough to take a 5mm rope halyard? In the Ronstan catalogue there is a RF31712 block which is a slightly larger fitting than the RF452 which can take up to an 8mm rope. Is is Ok to use the slghtly larger fitting or should one stick the RF452?

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Nic,

The Sabre manual contains a fit-out guide, which is what I am assuming you are getting the “standard” fittings from in your postings here. Note that it is only a guide. The Sabre rules allow for a large variety of fittings to be used throughout the boat, so don’t be too concerned if you can’t use the exact fitting mentioned in the fit-out guide.

In pratice, I have seen a large variety of blocks used successfully at the top of the mast. The main thing is that it supports the type of halyard you want to use – rope or wire.

Similar comments can be made about the tangs for attaching shrouds to the mast. You have to use tangs (not a hounds fitting), but I think the exact brand/type is not as important as making sure it is correctly located so it will pass the measurer’s inspection.

Regards,
    Alan Riley
    Sabre 1564

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.