VB cord!!

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails VB cord!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Matthews
    Participant

If I use rope that is not VB cord as part of my forestay for the purpose of tensioning and securing is my boat legal?
    In other words can rope other than VB cord be used?
    Sueby

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

hi Sue i am sure the measurer has no objection to lines other than vb cord being used so long as the risk of the mast falling on your head is minimized. Most things that contravene the rules relate to fittings that people see on other yachts and want to use them on sabres-the fundamental thing in sabres is to keep it simple-keep it cheap- we want as many people sailing sabres as possible -we dont want people pulling perfectly good gear off their boats simply to keep up with the latest gizmo that has come on to the market

Meryl Todd
    Participant

Hi Sue,

I have been using Linos waxed Dyneema for many lines on my boats without problems. If you are a perfectionist it can be eye and backspliced. For the forestay on the Sabre it is easy to banjo, wrap and tuck so they is no problem in easy release. Important for LBG winters. The measurer made no comment so it must be within rules.

regards, Paul

Paul Matthews
    Participant

???

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Catwalk,

As far as cordage goes, the book only gives that info as a recomendation. You can really use any type/weight of cordage you wish, anywhere you wish on the boat.

I use 4mm prestretch or spectra for the forestay on our boats.

There is no rule, except common sence, stopping you from using 16mm vectran if you really wished, it would just be overkill though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.