Where/How to Stiffen Timber Hull

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Where/How to Stiffen Timber Hull

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ashleighholcomb
    Participant

Hi to all, I am looking into doing my first build and read that having a stiff timber hull is important for performance. Are there any suggestions and tips on where and how to stiffen up a timber hull? Thanks in advance.

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hello Waynet.

With my limited knowledge and interpretation of the construction guide, stiffening will be limited to glassing your proposed hull inside and out as I have done. I used 86gm glass mat (2oz) to do this. I’m not sure there is any other way. Good luck with your build should you head this way.
    Regards John

BruceG
    Participant

To get a light and stiff boat it seems to be accepted that only the lightest timbers can be used so more stiffening can be added. Minimising glue and trimming excess timber where ever possible seems to be the norm. I have never built a ply sabre. I am only going on anecdotal evidence. Someone that is in the know tells me that the sort of ply needed to achieve best results is virtually impossible to get in this country.
    Craig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.