Internal outhaul seeking clarification rule 121

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Internal outhaul seeking clarification rule 121

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Matthews
    Participant

HI,
    I am seeking clarification on the change allowing an internal (inside the boom) mainsail outhaul (Proposal 28, Rule 7.1).
    It is Mothers Day and I am doing what I like to do …. In thinking about how I may rig my new boom I am contemplating an internal outhaul system.
    The problem I have is that I cannot find any change to Measurement Rule 121 [Outhaul double pulley hanger requirement and location measurement].
    Does this mean that Rule 121 must continue to be complied with?
    Susan

BruceG
    Participant

Good call. This is a problem as an “exit” has not been provided for in the rules. If the rules are followed correctly anything not provided for in the rules is not allowed.

Paul Matthews
    Participant

I think making Measurement Rule 121 optional or deleted is the answer.
    Making it optional is a bit messy if a goal is to simplify measurement.
    Anyway – until there is a further approved rule change I do not see it possible to neatly rig an internal outhaul and comply with the rules.
    I wonder if, until a further rule change can be enacted, it would be ok to have the hangers loose?
    The rule does not say they have to be in use – in this instance – wold I be compliant by retaining the hanger and taping it up?
    S

lstdarrel048
    Participant

I am new to Sabres … is anyone trying an internal outhaul with a ‘Laser/Aero style’ strap loop to connect to the boom. It seems to be very simple and works well on other boats?

andrewr
    Participant

Hi MRDawson,
    Yes – there are many boats using an internal outhaul with a Laser/Area style strap loop. My boat uses this arrangement, but I don’t use the velcro strap. I simply use a piece of dyneema for the loop around the boom.
    Alan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.