new ply build

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction new ply build

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yimim
    Participant

Hi

Just started a ply build based on paper templates sourced from the association. I cut out all the hull components over the weekend. However, the templates for the cradle referred to in the plans weren’t included. I’m thinking of making a couple of female moulds based on the transom and the two bulkhead patterns, but adding the thickness of the hull ply. Probably set each mould at a height corresponding to the appropriate rocker…

Any views on this approach?

yimim
    Participant

Decided to just go for it using a combo of the patterns and rules/measurements to come up with some basic moulds and rocker measurement points that I attached to a basic building frame. Checked the rocker measurements for fairness using a pine batten, and it looked pretty sweet. 2oz fibreglass on the interior with a couple of coats of resin then loaded the hull panels on the frame. Gradually pulling the panels into shape with a few lines, but looks like it will be a good fit.

Most panels will be made with 4mm marine hoop pine, which I weighed before purchase, and found them to be 6.2kg per sheet. I have cut the transom and centreboard case out of 6mm as I had some spare…

horacedummer06
    Participant

As as owner of an older ply boat and reading a little around here, ply boats flex along the top of the board case.

I don’t think that can be fast and I’m sure glass boats don’t flex as much so I would be doing everything i could to stiffen up the timbers running from the main sheet thwart to the bulkhead.

yimim
    Participant

Yup I got that impression too and was thinking of increasing the cross section of those timbers, or even using hardwood. I can’t find a specific rule prohibiting this, only that that timber dimensions are recommended (unless specifically stated).

Was also hoping the 6mm centrecase panels would help there too…

yimim
    Participant

What is the general consensus on the material and number of stringers used at the top of the side tanks?

Instructions say at least 1, and up to 3 hardwood stringers. But looking at various build images around the traps, two seems to be the go, and more often using Cedar rather than a hardwood. This would give an obvious weight advantage, but is it enough to support the 4mm side tank decks?

yimim
    Participant

Finally got Sabre Hull 2074 in the water.

[attachment=0:34t828ah]Sabre_2074s.JPG[/attachment:34t828ah]

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi csim,
    I think I saw you out in your boat a couple of weeks ago on LBG, but did not get a chance to catch up afterwards.
    This Sunday (11 Feb) there will be a couple of visiting Sabres at CYC, plus Geoff and myself
    Would be great if you can get there – we would have 5 for the afternoon race!
    My email is susanhextell @ bigpond.com
    Happy for you to email me, I can then extend our local Sabre email list
    Susan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.