Sabre website

Home Forums Other Stuff General News Sabre website

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    veronajessup084
    Participant

The website is perhaps the only method of informing Sabre owners and potential owners about the class.

The Sabre class is growing quickly, but that growth is not reflected in the website. The only area which has regular entries seems to be the “For Sale” column of the Forum.

All other areas have been unchanged for years! Even news from the States is old and when it appears, it dates quickly.

I’m aware that the website is maintained by volunteers, but if we want to have a vibrant and active Class Association, we need to maintain a Website which reflects this.

I ask….what is happening about planning for the Nationals at Hobart, what is the news from States, what about the issues about Rules and Measurement, results from events??

Having sailed in Europe in my teens, I still look at the Yachts and Yachting website, where I can see information about many dinghy classes there and their websites. Have a look and think about what we could do with our website, many of them are active and interactive. Why can’t our be like that?

There is a huge amount of interest in Sabres, especially in WA and we deserve a decent website, which is frequently updated.

Peter Johnston
    Sabre representative at East Fremantle YC
    Sabre On Fire 1930

darrelcani806
    Participant

Hi Peter
    Thank you for your comments and I do understand your concerns.
    I am presently working through the Class Rules and with the assistance of Harold Medd the National Class Measurer and Craig Nylund providing measurement details from his jig to amend the Rules with the building controls that will be for the benefit of the Class.
    This task is challenging and it is important care be taken as the method of measuring boats will be tightened. However before these goals can be achieved the Executive Committee has a lot to consider and discuss. I cannot say when the new Rules will be voted on but I hope we can have a draft for consideration by the State Committees this year but this I cannot promise.
    I consider it premature to announce what we are proposing as no formal decisions have been made.
    I indicated in Adelaide that I was hopeful of having a draft ready in the early part of this year but the task has proved me wrong and I make no apology. The Executive Committee wants the changes to be right and the Rules to be for the continuing benefit for the growth of the Class.
    I will keep members informed.
    Alan Wilson
    SSAA National President

veronajessup084
    Participant

It’s almost 2 years since I asked about the rule changes and it seems that nothing has happened.

Why is this?

Quite frankly, from the perspective of WA, where we have a thriving fleet, the dominance of Eastern State influence is apparent. WA has put much work into getting the rules separated from the construction information, but this has apparently stalled. Why is this?

We have new members who find this incomprehensible, as I do. As a member of Sabre SSA, I ask when this will be completed and distributed to members,
    This has been going on for far too long. Please advise the current position.

Peter Johnston
    East Fremantle YC
    Sabre 1930

darrelcani806
    Participant

Peter I am concerned you would publish your recent comments in the Forum without enquiring of the WA representatives who attended the AGM at Black Rock. Such an enquiry of them or an email to Barry or me regarding this issue would have avoided your unnecessary comments. The SSAA Executive cannot be responsible for your lack of communication with the SSAWA. The issue raised in your post was dealt with at the AGM.

The response received from SSAWA in the later part of last year was very welcomed but despite your view the collation of the responses to the new Draft Rules and the required further drafting is time consuming. Harold and Gary are doing a sterling job not warranting any criticism.

The Forum is not the appropriate place to air your discontent when you can make other more appropriate inquiries.

Harold and Gary are in the final stages of the redraft and the Executive will make it available to the State bodies after review.

Alan Wilson
    President SSAA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General News’ is closed to new topics and replies.