Adjustable Hiking Straps

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Adjustable Hiking Straps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

In light of the conversation surrounding building notes and what can an cant be done.

Are you allowed to have adjustable toestraps and if so has anyone got a good adjustment system?

Meryl Todd
    Participant

Adjustable hiking straps are legal.

The system I use is webbing from front tank to about half metre from transom. I then use 3mm rope, some three turns to get the amount of slack needed to get the right length. My wife who is much shorter lets the adjustment out to get her best hiking position. The slack is taken up by shock cord fixed to the thwart so you do not miss the straps when going about.

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

i have had adjustable hiking straps in past boats but did not bother when building this one- as i formed the view that attaching them to the floor behind the front bulkhead on one end and pulling them tight as i could to a point about 200m on the floor in front of the transom was ok- i use shock cord under the thwart to lift them so you can get your feet under them- i just have the view the lower they are the more support they give you especially if you hike straight legged- Jeni Lidgett the 470 olympian who talked me into sailing sabres also had a single reaching toe strap that ran from the mainsheet block to the transom – i used her boat before i owned my own, but i found it superfluous but i was a bit taller than her

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.