Beach Trolley Construction Design

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Beach Trolley Construction Design

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

looking for some hints on design for a new beach trolley. We’ll be welding it up ourselves from gal steel. Yes I know stainless steel/aluminium is the way to go but at this stage costs are important.
    in the future we are looking at making a new trailer to hold the trolley and boat.
    The existing trolley is quite heavy and not balanced.
    Should the balance point ie the wheels be at 2/3 the length of the boat ?
    What is a good handle angle and design ? and design to lock it onto a trailer ?
    I know there is a posting elsewhere on the forum regarding cradle design.
    Is neoprene foam the best for the cradles?
    Any hints would be great !!!!!
    thanks Helen

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi Helen

Building trolleys from steel is fine-just keep the wall thickness thin ie 1.6 or 2mm max so as to not be too heavy.
    If you get the balance point too neutral it means the transom can drag on the ground if you raise the lifting handle too far. This is especially the case with small wheels. If you move the balance point too far aft it makes the boat too heavy on the handle. It’s a compromise. I have had reasonable success with rear wheels about 1450mm aft of main bulkhead. Handle seems to work well at 300 mm wide and about 590 mm off the ground. Lean it foward about 100 mm so the trolley doesn’t catch on your foot.
    Any closed cell foam is okay for padding but then cover it in nylon carpet. Foam alone tends to get torn easily.The best carpet is the outdoor type that is totally nylon.
    Hemp or natural fibre under reinforcing will eventually rot and fail.

Best luck
    Matt
    Alchemy

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Thanks Matt
    Would that measurement of 1450mm for the wheels be from the point of the bow ?
    Helen :)

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi Helen

That’s 1450 from the main bulkhead to the wheels. Reduce this if you want less weight on the handle.
    It’s good to have the foward support under the main bulkhead as this is the strongest part of the boat.

Cheers
    matt
    Alchemy

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I constructed my dolly such that the dolly will always hit the ground before the transom.

Where do you live?

Regards . . .

gtlpetra6732
    Participant

Has anyone got a plan for a trolley? I can get my hands on some aluminium tubing and a bloke to weld it up but would like something to show him.

melvinjenkin
    Participant

I manufacture Sabre trolleys and have made enough to think that I have the best design and construction method. Anyone is welcome to come a have a look at how they are made or I can send photos.

harvey6111
    Participant

I tried to avoid welding for the trolleys I have made and have made them from rectangular tube , stainless bolts with ply for the boat carrying. They work well and can be made by anyone. If you can weld – look at Johns trolleys but I wanted something that was not welded and would not break. You are welcome to look at mine anytime.
    Stephen Early

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.