Best Cleat for Sabre

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Best Cleat for Sabre

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rochelledover74
    Participant

Hi all
    The Servo Cleat is again available in Australia at:
    http://www.thesailboatshop.com.au/home.html

This is not olny the lightest, toughest cleat on the market, it is also the cheapest. It comes with the mounting screews and fairlead for only $20 each and the angle base is $2.60, this represents a great saving on the cost of other cleats. I have used them for over 20 years and nothing out lasts them or works as well, my old 27ft boat still has the same set I put on over 20 years ago and still works great. I have used them on all my Sabres and many Sabres in WA use them and are very pleased with the results. Patented Servo design allows a line to cleat with only slight downward pressure and without the need to pull more line through. If you are building a Sabre, then take from me these are not only the best cleat, but will save you money. :)

“S11 with 13 degree riser for control cleats and S22 for mainsheet deck cleats if you use them.”

BruceG
    Participant

Can buy a carton of good beer with the savings. Thanks Jack.

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi Jack.

Thanks for the link. I’m going to put the cleats on the deck above the centre case bulkhead. If I use the S11 do I use the 13 deg. angle riser with it ?
    Cheers

rochelledover74
    Participant

@magic232 wrote:

Hi Jack.

Thanks for the link. I’m going to put the cleats on the deck above the centre case bulkhead. If I use the S11 do I use the 13 deg. angle riser with it ?
    Cheers

Yes you do, I always screw and epoxy my cleats on ( I buy longer screws than come with them to accomadate the riser, I think they are 8 gauge), in the wooden boat I had some left over ply from rudder box for under the cleats. Glass boats if you have timber already installed, then drill for the screw and counter sink the hole, this prevents gel coat cracking and allows space for more epoxy glue. They have never leaked unlike silicon and bolts, best of luck

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thanks Jack. Can you expand on the comment with the epoxy assisted install. So you drill a pilot hole for the screw and then ………. ( assume timber hull with 4 mm ply stiffeners under the foredeck for strength ).

Kind regards

John NT soon to be port Phillip

rochelledover74
    Participant

@magic232 wrote:

Thanks Jack. Can you expand on the comment with the epoxy assisted install. So you drill a pilot hole for the screw and then ………. ( assume timber hull with 4 mm ply stiffeners under the foredeck for strength ).

Kind regards

John NT soon to be port Phillip

What I would do here, is use 2 more 4 mm piece of ply as well, so in total you have 16mm, this will spread the load over the deck. then drill your pilot hole for the screw, put some epoxy on the screw shaft and screw it down. The only bolts I use are for rudder and foot straps saddles in front tank, but I still use epoxy other than inspection port (or you could remove the inspection port). Epoxy allows for easy removal of fittings, more strength and will never leak. Hope this helps.

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thanks Jack. I’m intending to bolt ? I thought I might use marine Sika. The under deck stiffeners are quite large around 500 by 150 . What do you think ?
    Regards

BruceG
    Participant

Sika is great but the white marine sika tends to discolour. I have been told to use “actetic cure silicone” for white sealant. The black sika should be good for the black Servo cleats. Mask the job though. the sika can get very messy.
    How thick are the stiffeners?

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Tell me about it. I used Sika for the inspection hatches. Sealant everywhere but at least no cut hands from screws that I got from old boats while sponging out water from the tanks.
    Ok, I used 4 mm ply but large pieces so the load is spread . It’s mostly shear load anyway so not a big concern.
    Regards

rochelledover74
    Participant

@magic232 wrote:

Thanks Jack. I’m intending to bolt ? I thought I might use marine Sika. The under deck stiffeners are quite large around 500 by 150 . What do you think ?
    Regards

My question is why bolt?

Screws with epoxy will never leak, boats with silicon will one day leak, so it is a no brainer for me.

How heavy is your boat?
    I found I had to put larger timbers under my screws to bring the boat up to min weight 38Kg, even after glassing the boat both outside and in.

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thanks Jack.

I now understand your point. The thread of a sealed screw will seal out water where a bolt is a clearance fit through the wood relying on the silicon for a seal.
    I’m well over weight although I don’t know how but I’m putting it down to Darwin humidity. It’s out of control up here now with the build up to the wet season so lucky I’m finished !
    Who knows what she will end up weighing but she’s tough.
    I could just whack a bit of cedar timber underneath the already installed stiffeners to get about 20 mm of screw purchase.

Regards

BruceG
    Participant

If you drill the bolt holes undersize about 0.5mm (5/32 4.2mm for a 3/16 4.7mm bolt) you remove the clearance issue and it makes it really easy to do the nuts up as the bolt is already tight before you start the nuts. Also very good way to secure a fitting without needing someone else to help.

latanyaragsdale
    Participant

A limited number of Blue coloured S11 Servo Cleats are available from The Sailboat Shop.

[attachment=0:1z7s1bz0]spring24.jpg[/attachment:1z7s1bz0]

The Sailboat Shop has also supplied a complete set of Servo cleats to fit out a Sabre to the SA Association for the 2014/2015 Nationals at ASC. Fair winds to all competing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.