Boom Vang

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Boom Vang

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi all, Am enjoying the boat immensely. hav revarnished the deck, rudder blade and Board. Went for a sail at the APYC opening day and the old girl performed quite well.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best vang setup? I want to keep it simple if possible.

Thanks

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Most people (myself included) seem happy with the 4:1 purchase between mast and boom with a 2:1 (or slightly less due to angle-of-pull) twin-ended control line out to cleats just in front of the bulkhead. Have a wander around the rigging area and see how others have their controls rigged – most will be happy to talk to you about how good their systems are.

In spite of having expensive cam cleats on my No.1 boat, I do favour the ClamCleat Alloy Junior Mk 2 as being more reliable, cheaper (about 60% less than cam cleats) and incorporating its own fairlead.

Most people seem to favour low stretch (Kevlar and the like) control lines, but, providing you don’t use 3mm nylon blind cord, 6mm polyester should do: it has always worked fine for me – after all, you can always pull it on a bit, and you’ll save 50%!

WARNING: Take care when mounting the cleats on the deck that (a) you mount them with bolts not self tappers; and (b) you ensure that there is a reinforcing pad under the deck and use generously sized washers.

Mike 1682

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

if you have a email address i have a few photos that i can send from adelaide boats that i took to set my boat up.

Regards

Ron Fry
    CRISPY 1201

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Thank you both for your informative replies. My email address is [email protected]

Floriana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.