CAR TOPPING SABRE TO HOBART

Home Forums Racing & Regattas Championships CAR TOPPING SABRE TO HOBART

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I have noted in previous discussions regarding car topping it has been recommended to carry the boat upside down with the beach dolly on top.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of this method rather than carrying the boat upright (cover over) on its dolly :?:

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi Dean,

I intend to take my boat right-side up on its dolly on the roof rack. My plan is to tie the boat to the dolly then lift the boat and dolly onto the roof rack as one unit. I think the boat will be better supported and less susceptible to damage if it’s sitting on its dolly, rather than the dolly sitting on the boat. The disadvantage is that it’s a bit heavier to lift the boat and dolly at the same time.

Regards,

Alan Riley
    Sabre 1564

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I always car top my boats upside down with the dolley on top. The reason is that it is aerodynamically better with less tendency to blow the whole car/boat unit of the road when being passed by large trucks.
    I have been doing this for a long time and have never had any problems.The above method also lowers the centre of windage and mass of the boat which is safer, particularly when cornering. The carrying of boats right side up also seems to be a modern affectation of the owners of very large vehicles which should normally be used for off road use.

There, I have killed two birds with one stone.
    Up the pies.

Phillip Johnson

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Championships’ is closed to new topics and replies.