Change to centreboard and rudder design

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Change to centreboard and rudder design

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Since entering the class I have noticed the boat is difficult to tack in lumpy seas and will stall as it goes through the wind. I have looked at the relationship between the centreboard and rudder and it is wrong. The centreboard is too wide and in certain circumstances doesn’t allow the rudder to control the turning moment of the boat and also causes a greater rolling moment.
    These problems can be corrected by the centreboard being 75mm less in width and 125mm longer and the rudder being 75mm longer. These adjustments will alter the forces applied by the centreboard and create greater interaction between the respective foils. The boat will be more reactive and forgiving.
    Has consideration been given to this issue.
    HelterSkelter

caroline13q
    Participant

Change to centreboard and rudder design
    by HelterSkelter on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Since entering the class I have noticed the boat is difficult to tack in lumpy seas and will stall as it goes through the wind. I have looked at the relationship between the centreboard and rudder and it is wrong. The centreboard is too wide and in certain circumstances doesn’t allow the rudder to control the turning moment of the boat and also causes a greater rolling moment.
    These problems can be corrected by the centreboard being 75mm less in width and 125mm longer and the rudder being 75mm longer. These adjustments will alter the forces applied by the centreboard and create greater interaction between the respective foils. The boat will be more reactive and forgiving.
    Has consideration been given to this issue.
    HelterSkelter

Since buying a foiling moth I have not had this problem anymore, that was my consideration 😈 😆

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.