CNC Sabre Kit

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction CNC Sabre Kit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    thammyvienngocdung
    Participant

Hi all,

I used to sail a sabre many years ago, and i am looking into potentially building myself a new boat. What is the plywood choice used nowadays? I remember my old boat was 5mm gaboon, which is as rare as rocking horse poo now. The next thing is, I will CNC cut out my boat… Just wondering if anyone has a .dxf or .dwg file of all the components, otherwise ill just digitize paper plans. Also, just guaging the amount of interest there would be in a full cnc cut out kit, might as well do a few while i’m at it if there’s interest.

Cheers Ryan

kakao
    Participant

Hi Ryan

The sabre Association is currently working on producing a digital copy of the Sabre templates to enable cnc cutting. We are taking patterns from one of the more recent boats as the original templates are now a bit out of date and were never very accurate. WA are working on this and have good templates. They are just looking for someone to digitise them. I can’t tell you how long it will be before we can issue them but we are making progress. I would not recommend digitising the current paper plans you would have to do a lot of trimming after you produce you cnc parts. I’m sure there is interest which is why we are working on it. If you are in WA or Victoria let me know on [email protected].

Sabres haven’t been built from 5mm ply for quite some time as I’m told it is no longer available. The current preferred material is 4mm gaboon ply and you use a skin of fibreglass on both sides to make up the thickness. you can glass the inside before bending but wait until the hull is formed before doing the outside as you will not be able to bend it. Even 4mm is not easy to find. I can tell you where to get it in Victoria but not other states.

Harold Medd
    National Measurer

thammyvienngocdung
    Participant

Hi Harold

Thanks for the information, I might hang on then. Alternatively If the class is willing to make a set of pattern pieces out of something cheap (mdf or the like 3-5mm) and send them to me I will digitize them for the class association as i have access to a machine called a proliner that will do it all. It would cost probably less than $100 in the mdf & freight. That then as well I can nest everything as well to maximize parts per sheets and have bigger off cuts instead of little bits that end up in the bin.

Cheers Ryan

kakao
    Participant

Hi Ryan

I have spoken to the guys in WA. we would love to take you up on your offer. Can you get in touch with me by email at [email protected] and give me your address and phone numbers so that we can take it further.

Harold

BruceG
    Participant

Hi Ryan,
    What state are you in? Would mylar templates be suitable for the digitizing process?
    Craig.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.