Fibreglass Sabre Hull Shapes

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Fibreglass Sabre Hull Shapes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ncxangelika
    Participant

I am planning to buy a new fibreglass Sabre hull and before I do, I am looking for some guidance on the difference between the Yachtcraft, YMS and Botterill shapes. In particular their rocker measurements.

I believe the Yachtcraft shape is based on the Victorian Botterill mould and that the YMS is a mould off the 2005 National and Vic State champions hull.

Or am I worrying unnecessarily about the rocker issue?
    :?:

andrewr
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I sail a Botterill hull, but I can’t tell you what the difference is between the shapes of the Yachtcraft, YMS and Botterill. All I know is that the Botterill is fast! What I am interested to know is why you think the rocker measurement is important? There is only a few millimetres tolerance in the rules (max. 15mm) on the rocker so I can’t see that fiddling with it will make that much difference!

Alan Riley
    Sabre 1564

harvey6111
    Participant

The problem is that the Victorian Association had a new mould made a few years ago and that replaced the old Botteril mould. This was a commpletly different boat optimised to be fast. The mould that Yacht Craft is using is based on the old Botteril mould which at one stage was the only shaped mould allowed. You are right about the YMS mould being based on Wayne Bates boat. Botteril has closed and the VIctorian Association is looking at who will get to use the mould.

Stephen Early

ncxangelika
    Participant

Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason for my query on rocker stems from my experience in other classes such as 125’s and Fireballs where there was evidence that a flat rocker in the rear half of the boat is generally faster around the course and more likely to start plaining earlier.

I understand that a new boat on minimum weight and with a stiff bottom is imporatant and I assume I will get that with any of the Sabre builders.

I agree the tolerance on rocker is tight, but what I was hoping to establish is whether there is any evidence to suggest hull shape is a significant factor on boat speed between the various builders.

I would prefer to buy a Victoian built Sabre from the Botterill mould as its easier for me being in Melbourne, but I don’t want to wait too long for the new Victorian builder to be nominated.

Regards
    Matt

liamedleston
    Keymaster

The decision on appointment of the new Vic builder will be taken at the 22 Mar committee meeting. FYI, Vic Measurer, John Dixon is currently building 3 or 4 boats out of the Assocn mould and will have timber decks.
    It is expected that the new builder will take posession of the mould by 1 May.
    Barry Eastgate

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

is john still charging the same price ??

liamedleston
    Keymaster

You should reconfirm with John but if you look at the “Boats and Equipment” section of this website you will see John’s prices under IECON Boats. $3,860 unvarnished deck and fully fitted POA
    Barry Eastgate

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

Are the glass sabres a better construction when built with the ply decks??..Or is this done just for the timber boat look??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.