fibreglass versus timber

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction fibreglass versus timber

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    oruharriet
    Participant

Is there any difference in performance between a fibreglass hull and a timber hull? Are the top five boats a mixture of timber & fibreglass or is one hull type better on average? How do the Vic fibreglass hulls go nationally?
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

dulciechristense
    Participant

I would suggest there is very little between the various types of boat.

Up until a few years ago timber boats held sway but foam sandwich boats have stepped up into the top twenty.

Whether this is because of improvement in the boats or the effect of the nuts on the end of the tillers can be argued – I think it is the latter. A lot of top skippers have gone to, particularly, the YMS foam sandwich hulls from SA.

The difficulty in getting good ply to build minimum weight hulls may have been responsible for some of this exodus. There are few good timber builders about now and I know one at least who will not take orders due to the ply problems.

julianekennion4
    Participant

@big kahuna wrote:

Is there any difference in performance between a fibreglass hull and a timber hull? Are the top five boats a mixture of timber & fibreglass or is one hull type better on average? How do the Vic fibreglass hulls go nationally?
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Placing a question like this on a public forum could open a can of worms….but I’ll bite. The top 5 boats at last year’s nationals were a mix of all types: glass, glass-timber hybrids, and timber from three different builders. I’m sure all of the top sailors would agree that many other factors have far more influence on the results that the building material of the hulls. In fact, there is more correlation between the age of the participants children and their hull material than the results :-) The point being that most of the top guys with glass boats have made the choice for reasons other than performance – no varnishing and the option to leave the boat down at the club so instead they can keep the better half happy and play with the kids.

In the Black Rock bar today, there is more debate about which of the three cuts of Irwin sail are faster. Maybe this topic deserves a thread of it’s own!

A number of years ago it was possible to claim that glass boats were at a major disadvantage, however today with the main glass builders are using proven hull shapes and foam sandwich, and they are just as fast as a well built timer boat.

This is one point that I think is a real asset to the Sabre; amateur built and pro built boats are able to compete equally.

Cheers,

Chris
    Espresso 1778

oruharriet
    Participant

Thanks Mike and Chris for confirming the fibreglass hulls are on par with the timber ones. I prefer fibreglass for the ease of maintenence.

julianekennion4
    Participant

On the topic of glass boats, this link my be of interest to some:

http://www.formulasailcraft.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=15

Looks like we may have a new option for glass boats in the new season.

lisalamaro5270
    Participant

That should be good for the class… And i know they make a fast light 125

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.