Fibreglass vs Timber Decks

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Fibreglass vs Timber Decks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ncxangelika
    Participant

Dear Sabre Sailors,

I am planning to buy a new Fibreglass Sabre and I am looking for some guidance on the whether I should go for glass or timber decks and side tanks.

I understand that the timber deck may be lighter, however I prefer the glass deck for maintenace reasons.

Are there any other advantages to either option and which is stiffer?

Matt

Scott Olsen
    Participant

Matt

The South Australians seems to predominantly go for glass decks, whereas most of the latter day Victorain boats built by Boterill have ply.

There is a strong school of thought that to get a fibreglass hulled boat down to minimum weight, a glass deck is needed to be built fairly lightweight. The concern then is stiffness. If the boat is sailed on Port Phillip, then the waves are going to give it a hard time. Longer time, this may lead to visible cracking. A ply boat on the other hand can be strengthened with selective use of stringers without major weight penalty.

Of course, there are many who think that the timber decks and side tanks make for a better looking boat….

I’m no boat builder, but these observations seem to be made by quite a few people.

Look forward to seeing the new boat whichever way you end up going

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.