Fibreglassing Hull

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Fibreglassing Hull

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I have an older Sabre that I am about to strip the hull back and repaint.

I was thinking of adding a layer of glass to the hull prior to painting to add some stiffness as the boat is approx 20 years old.

When glassing the bottom do people generally glass bow to stern, or I was thinking that from just in front of the thwart back to the stern may be enough.

Also from peoples past experience what weight of glass would be the best. I was thinking of probably using 4 ounce wth epoxy resin etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi there

My dad and I did what you are talking about on an older sabre no. 996. What we did was get the paint right of and let it sit in the sun for a few days to get rid of any water in the timber (prey it doesn’t rain!). Buy the fiberglass product Bote Cote with the pump top to get exact measurement for the resin. When you buy the equiptment there is a thinning agent you can add. Lay on 2 coats with a paintbrush and Squeegee the rest of with some really thin balsa wood. Once dry hit with 40 grit sand paper to rough it up a bit. Make some more resin up with no thinning agent and put your cloth on. MAKE SURE you Squeegee of the rest of the resin off so only the cloth is wet. in total this should only add on at a maximum of 2kg but it added about 1.3 kg onto ours. Hope this helps you.

Ryan 👿 😈 👿

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.