Floor batten requirements

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Floor batten requirements

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    billsikes58540
    Participant

I recently bought my first Sabre (with sail number 671) 😆 – an elderly boat in need of some reconditioning, but ideal for a relative novice like me to experience some singlehanded sailing.

I decided that I would verify the boat against the various measurements and regulations and all seems good except for one area. My boat has only 3 floor battens (including along the keel) and the regulations appear to require a minimum of 4. 👿

I’m therefore considering whether I should rip up two of the three battens and undertake some reconstruction work. Clearly to undertake such action on an old boat like this is quite a substantial job – one which I think would require some delicate work with an angle grinder. 😳

Having viewed other Sabres for variations in the location and length of the floor battens, I discovered that mine is not the only boat with only 3 floor battens. Can anyone tell me if this is a more recent regulation and whether older boats built this way can still compete with this configuration?

Also, if I do increase the number of floor battens, there don’t appear to be any regulations as to their placement. It seems I will have to decide whether I wish to substantially increase the strength of the floor by doing the job right (ripping up the current floor battens and completely replacing them) OR place some extra battens alongside the existing ones – mainly to fullfil the regulations.

Has anyone undertaken similar upgrades of have any advice on achieving a reasonable outcome with the minimum of fuss…???

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Paul.

liamedleston
    Keymaster

My understanding is that the requirement for 4 battens (excluding) keel was introduced about 1988/90. 671 would certainly pre-date the rule change. Phil Johnson or John Dixon should comment on this but I think the requirement for the floor battens to pass through the bulkhead was also introduced with the requirement for 4 battens.
    Barry Eastgate

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Older boats were built with a keel batten and an another batten each side between the keel and the side tank. Older boats may use the batten arrangement currently used in the buiding notes which does allow for two battens each side. I would suggest that any one contemplating this job to ring as I have experience of doing this and would better able to help you on the phone.

Phillip Johnson
    National Measurer

vetadalton08688
    Participant

Like Paul, I acquired an older Sabre (633) last year and have been gradually refurbishing it while enjoying club racing. It has three floor battens only. The only other Sabre (late 1300’s) at our Maroochy Club also has only 3 floor battens – I understand it sailed at National Titles around 2000, so it must have been accepted under trhe rules at that time.

I note Phillip’s reply and especially the sentence – “Older boats may use the batten arrangement currently used in the building notes which does allow for two battens each side.”

Does this indicate that older boats have the option retaining their original three floor batten arrangement, or must they “upgrade” to the later four batten set-up?

Like most other owners of older boats, I would hesitate to undertake this work unless it was absolutely essential.

Petro

Low Impact 633

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

If an old boat is being renovated the rules current at the time of building will apply. However it is permissable to repair an old boat to comply with the newer rules if the owner wishes. The only exception to this the replacement of foils which must comply with the new rules. This is particularly relevant to rudder blades.

Phillip Johnson
    National Measurer

vetadalton08688
    Participant

Thanks , Phillip, for your clarification.

Although nearly 30 years young, my boat’s hull is in remarkably good condition – a credit to her previous owners who obviously treated her kindly. I really have no reason to touch the hull.

My refurbishments consist mainly of replacing some fittings which are showing the wear and tear of age, and fitting a new Centreboard (to the current specifications).

Once again, Thanks

Petro

Low Impact 633

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.