Is my boat legal?

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Is my boat legal?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

How can I tell if my 2nd hand sabre and all her kit measures legally?

I have a small aluminium “Class A” measurement plate on the inside of the transom (circa ’91, I think). So the hull at least, must measure legally. But I have no black bands on the mast or boom, therefore they are not legal Sabre spars. Sure, that is a trivial fault to rectify, but the point is that at least some changes have been made to the rigging and fitout without regard to the class rules. Thus, there may well be others.

Now, I know that measurements are published on the Association’s website, but is that a complete list? i.e. Is there anything not covered in the published measurements for which she can be “pinged”? Does it even matter for club competition? Or only for class events such as the State and National titles?

dulciechristense
    Participant

Matt

If you ensure your boat complies with the Rules & Measurements as published on the web site (and some are a bit esoteric in how they are applied or measured) you won’t be far wrong. Some things may have been changed but this should not affect you, as older boats are “grandfathered”; i.e., if they complied at original measurement and have not been altered, they do not have to comply with altered rules except for annually measured items such as sails and fins.

I am presently in the throes of incorporating recent rule changes into the building notes and hope to make them available to people in your situation at a fee that will cover our costs of production.

National measurer, Phil Johnson, has measurement records which may include your boat – give him a ring or an email.

It is unlikely that your competitors at your Club will take you to task for minor rule violations but, for your own peace of mind, it is best to make your boat comply and, if you aspire to state or national titles competition, things can get picky.

Fair winds
    Mike Simpson

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Thanks Mike,

I sort of suspected that may be the case, but thought it best to check.

I’d like to come to the State Titles, so I will make sure she’s absolutely up to code by then. But for the moment, I’ll be happy with just keeping her upright in club races.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.