Mainsheet Length

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Mainsheet Length

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi, I have just purchased an old (#631) boat and need a new mainsheet as the original was missing. I will need to buy a new bottom pulley as well.

What is the most convenient length of the mainsheet?

Many thanks

dulciechristense
    Participant

I just went and measured mine – it’s 4.6 metres (15 feet) for a 4:1 purchase in the mainsheet system.

As I recall, it’s adequately long but if you feel the need for a 5:1 purchase, you will need about another metre.

Take care that the rope diameter is small enough for the pulleys used in the system!

Many Sabre sailors seem to have an alternate lighter (smaller diameter) mainsheet for very light days that would almost certainly be used in a 4:1 system. Of course the use of the lesser purchase and the smaller (and harder to hold) sheet will almost guarantee the breeze will come up to the point of being uncomfortable.

For your bottom block I strongly recommend a ratchet block ($85 to $100!!!) and you may want to rig it on a wire strop that raises it up to the height of the thwart so it leads smoothly when you are sitting forward, as when on the wind.

By the way, 631 isn’t all that old – my old boat is number 168 and, while she is showing her age, there are plenty of nice boats around in the 1, 2 & 300 number series.

Regards
    Mike Simpson, 168 and 1682

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Many thanks for the information. It is good to be part of a generous sailing community.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.