Mast sections

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Mast sections

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BruceG
    Participant

Can any one tell me the difference between the mast sections available and how I can identify what section mine is?
    Thanks in advance.
    Craig

lucasa103380
    Participant

Hi Craig
    From Chris Dance’s rigging guide (which can be found here: https://www.sabre.org.au/australia_documents/Chris_Dance_Sabre_Rigging_Guide.pdf )

“Keeley section: Most flexible and lightest
    Binks SA: Medium bend and medium weight
    John Dixon: Stiffest and heaviest”

From here it all gets a bit murky. Binks apparently has a stock of Keeley sections as well as their own, so you can get a “Binks” or a “Binks Keeley”. And since we are working with aluminium, the anodising process affects the weight of the spar and its stiffness, so they probably vary from batch to batch. John Dixon’s web site (IECON boats) advertises the ability to tailor the spar to sailor weight, so it may be that he has a range of masts available or is a master of timing the etching process.

I think you’ll find that the Keeley section is the current popular choice, but is probably not a universal one. My personal view is that even the softest Sabre mast does not bend enough to get a full range of sail shape, and the Sabre boom and vang are too weak to bend it anyway, so there’s no need to have a stiff (i.e. heavy) one. Again that’s probably not a commonly shared view. I’m surprised there isn’t more analysis of masts and sails (as opposed to hulls) as they seem pretty important.

As for how to tell what yours is – I have no idea! Others may know. If you know who built or set up your boat then someone may know.

Daen (Sabre 1979)

nhanmimatgiare
    Participant

I think you will find that these sections are all off the shelf from manufacturers and these companies are simply adding their names to them. Originally Alcan and Comalco produced them with varied serial numbers. There is also a James Glass section that has a thicker wall and sail track bead which makes it quite a bit stiffer (and heavier).
    As to your original question Craig I would think the builder of your particular boat would be easy to track down in WA and ask him what it is/where it came from?

kakao
    Participant

Hi Craig
    Its not correct to say they are all the same section with different supplier names. There are subtle differences in the section particularly in the location and thickness of the web. Its only a millimeter or so but a plug from one mast will not necessarily fit another. The only way i can suggest is to check any ofcuts from a known supplier you can find against yours. The big problem with the mast is making sure your sail is cut for your mast. I saw a big difference when I corrected that problem.
    Harold

nhanmimatgiare
    Participant

The J Glass Section is DBROO I (this is the stiffest/heaviest with the webbing on the side wall and thicker track bead)

Capral K4621 (I suspect this is the medium stiffness/Binks variety?)

Alcan/Comalco (This may be what Keelys is using as its definately the most flexible and lightest…especially when annodised. Bob Keeley may have/own the Dye for this one)

Boating Hardware would have a Keeley Section and I think a J Glass section for you to compare in Perth.

melvinjenkin
    Participant

Most masts used currently and in the past are extruded by Capral including the mast supplied by Bob Keeley
    and Binks.
    Older Capral masts are heavier and stiffer due to thicker wall probably a result of die wear as this mast has been around a long time and is used in many classes. They can really only be identified by weight.

The IECON mast is extruded in New Zealand and is an intermediate weight between old Capral and New “Keeley” masts It can be identified by an extruded ridge on the outside of the web.

The new “Keeley” mast is the lightest with thinnest wall thickness. Strength is maintained by use of a newly developed alloy.

IECON Boats also produces masts to the weight requirements of the user and these masts are anodised black

All these masts are available from IECON Boats in any configuration from raw section to fully rigged and anything between at very competitive prices. Matching high tensile booms and all fittings are also available

BTW A fully rigged IECON mast came second in the S.A Nationals

latanyaragsdale
    Participant

Is anybody using 2mm stays or is 2.5mm 1×19 the best option using hand swaging and thimbles?
    Guess next question is: is a single yoke and Jesus shackle attachment the norm or are the go fast guys and gals using tangs and hydraulically swaged eyes?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.