Mast Step Position.

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Mast Step Position.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I’m just about to put the mast step on a sabre I’m building.

Q 1 Apart from the info which is in the construction notes, are there any recommendations for the location of the mast step?

Q 2 Is it legal to have an adjustable mast step placement provided the settings are within the legal tolerance. If so, what is the best construction method to do this?

Q 3 If not, how is the best way to determine the best location before the boat is sailed?

Unfortunately I don’t have access to too many other Sabres to measure there placements.

Thanks

Shane

liamedleston
    Keymaster

Shane,
    Most of the top boats have their mast step near the aft most position within the tolerance. The measurements are taken from the transom (outer edge) to the mast step range. I suggest you position it approx 2 – 3 cm forward of the aft limit…check the rules as to what constitutes the measurement point. It used to be the middle of the mast but I think this has changed.

To my knowledge, the rules do not allow for a moveable maststep but you should check with the National Measurer, Phil Johnson 03 9557 8677 [email protected].

Barry Eastgate

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Moveable mast steps are not permitted under Sabre rules. I have had to rule on this several times.

Phillip Johnson
    National Measurer

Meryl Todd
    Participant

The measurement limits 2638-2794mm are front of mast at deck level to rear face of transom. I measured a few boats at an open meeting and the average was 2665mm which became my starting point.

When starting to rebuild 266, the ballpark figure I was given for rake was 5620mm from bottom of black band to top of transom. This was a good starting point, but then it was adjusted after the first sail to get the boat balanced. Just begin with plenty of adjustment available on the side stays until you get the right length for helm balance.

The optimum rake will not only vary with the mast step position, but also with the sail shape, and fore and aft trim. Being fairly heavy I keep my weight well forward to minimize transom drag so use a little more rake than say someone of 65kg. My daughter at 58kg drops back two holes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.