New and some questions

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails New and some questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    horacedummer06
    Participant

Hey all,

Looks like I’m buying 1214 from Hobart to bring up North here in Tassie.

The boat is old (1987) but hasn’t been sailed nearly at all in 10 years so should be OK, and the price is right!!

A couple of questions as I do work as a yacht rigger/splicer so I like to play with stuff a bit!!

Thoughts on dyneema stays? Can’t see why they would be illegal? Rules say ‘material and size of choice’ and I’n not doing them because they are much lighter, just that I can (I have a 30t test bed at work so I can set the splices in before installing), I like the look, there is no sharp egdes like eye swages and they don’t work harden around the swage like roll swages.

Mast step? Has anyone made one that you can adjust the position off the water when setting up? Is that legal?

Anyway, hope some people still look on here?!

kakao
    Participant

The Sabre rules are being revised to provide more certainty. Currently the rigging is controlled by the Construction Notes which refer to wire. The Construction notes are currently part of the Sabre rules so wire is required for the stays.
    The rules regarding the mast step changed in Feb 2014 to allow a mast track to be used which can be adjusted off the water. The track I use is a Seldon.

Harold Medd
    SSAA National measurer

horacedummer06
    Participant

Thanks Harold,

You mean a mast step like this http://www.dinghyshop.com.au/fittings/view-by-product/hull-deck-fittings/a4124-adjustable-mast-step

Also in the rules I could find re: stays, it says wire stays of any material and guage as long as they are adequate to do the job.
    Surely of ‘any material’ could also mean ‘non-metallic’? For example plastic wire?

darrelcani806
    Participant

I have just finished rigging my new Formula Sailcraft hull and used Jim Scott’s rail mast step and mast fitting.
    It works well. It also allowed me to run all my control line fittings from a pin through the mast step. Very tidy.
    I also fitted three swivel cleats to the deck with tails from the lead rope from the cleat to shock cord across the deck to save on rope in the boat and having the adjustment on the opposite side when I needed it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.