Old Sails

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Old Sails

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi All

I am just wondering about the performance of older sails. I have a Panel Cut sail that is made around 1992, by Diamond sailmakers which i dont think are around anymore. Does anybody know how much they stretch or lose shape, and how much better are the sails designed today?

James- Sabre 1421

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi,
    That is a very interesting question.
    I recently competed in a regatta using an old ’92 vintage sail.
    It looked way full, but damn I was surprised as I beat the blokes, and one of them had previously beaten me.
    That said, I think that I am trimming my sail and adjusting my sailing better than I used to – that seems to be where the difference is.
    SO …. an old sail can be a good sail – if you are able to set it and adjust it and modify your sailing to the wind and wave conditions, and also NOT makes tactical of handling errors. Many many variables!

An analogy: When driving in peak hour city traffic is it the most powerful car that arrives at its destination first?

Winnie the Pooh

harvey6111
    Participant

Old sails tend to streach more as the filler slowly breaks down and permanent streaches due to loads take place. As for diamond sails most were cut by Lindsay Irwin and all early Irwin Sails were based on a template of a new diamond we had just purchased. He has since done development on this sail.

Stephen Early

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.