Plywood choice for new build

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Plywood choice for new build

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hello All.

I’m looking at plywood choices for a new sabre build. From what I have read BS1088 Gaboon ply 4 mm sheets appears the way to go but what I am concerned about is the quality. Because of my location I will have to ship it up so wont be able to personally inspect each sheet for quality and weight but I’m hoping they average 5 kg each and are fit for the task.
    What are people using to build their new ply boats ?
    Is there good Aussie ply (name) out there that weighs in well ?
    Another query I have is the construction guide mentions unequal ply for the floor. I would guess you can only get what’s available at the time ? As I am glassing the hull anyway, can I negate this requirement ?

Thank you

John

NT

sabre_wa
    Participant

Andrew Denman from Denman Marine in Tas is your man. He brings in the best BS1088 plywood and will select the lightest sheets for a build where weight is critical. Even though he is off the mainland, the subsidised freight works out about the same as from other cap cities.

Good luck with your build.

AndyMac

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thank you andymac

It’s funny you mention that. I was reading a few boat building sites that spoke of him so I emailed him yesterday and then he appears on the front page of the Australian ! Must be a sign :)
    Anyhows i will follow it up today. I figure a good boat has to be built from quality material even if it’s a little more expensive. Thanks again for your reply.

Regards John
    NT

renahoyle93048
    Participant

Hi John NT,

The sheets I got from Denman Marine weighed in at 6.3 kg per sheet and dropped to 6.2 by the time I got to use them.

The only ply I have found under 6kg per sheet were sheets of Kokoda (I think that’s how you spell it) and only about 1 in 10 was down to 5KG.

If you are careful with your glue glass and resin you should be able to get a 41kg boat with sheets that weigh 6kg per sheet.

Regards JohnL

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thank you john l for your reply.
    I would be very interested in your and members methods of building a light boat. I plan on at least ten millimetre fillets throughout both internal and external plus glass cloth seams and internal and external sheathing with 4 mm ply. What are your thoughts ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.