position of fittings

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction position of fittings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ricardoriggs
    Participant

Just finishing off building and am wondering about the best or perfered position to mount the control lines for outhaul etc ,wether on the fordeck
    or on the top of tanks also can anybody help me with a more updated list for fittings hope someone may be able to help.
    Steve 1732

krystalcrooks90
    Participant

I held off on this for a while until I had seen what worked for the guys I sail with. I ended up leaving the cleats at the base of the mast but tailing them back to the hull tanks with shock cord. This kept the line angle right for the cams and put the lines within arms reach.

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi Steve
    Every variation is possible however most top sailors seem to have settled on having the cleats on the edge of the bulkhead.
    Which cleats to use is a little more problematic.
    Some people favour cam cleats as they don’t slip.
    Others use plastic clam cleats as they are light, cleat very quickly and are cheap…but they do wear out quickly.
    Check out the National champ…he uses aluminium clam cleats as they last longer than the plastic clams and have the advantage when easing that you only have to drop the line into the cleat to have it cleat securely.
    With cams you usually have to pull on and down to recleat.

Hope this gives some help.

Cheers
    matt
    Zahir

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.