Proctor Spars

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Proctor Spars

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    krystalcrooks90
    Participant

Has anyone bought or used the mast or boom sections from Proctor in WA?
    How do they compare to the other manufacturers?

Thanks,

Chris.

dulciechristense
    Participant

According to the details on the Binks Marine page Proctor do not have a section that matches our measurement requirements. I strongly advise don’t even think about it!

MRS

krystalcrooks90
    Participant

Thanks Mike,

On this page I got the impression they had class allowable spars:

http://www.binksonline.com.au/products-sabre.asp

UPDATE

I have checked with Proctor that the sections are 65-67mm by 49-51mm amd this is class spec.

🙄

dulciechristense
    Participant

Yep! That is our standard section!
    It is an Alcan section not a Proctor!
    Worth checking price with John Dixon at Iecon – he is much cheaper (about $100) but not anodised and if you’re in Vic you can pick it up saving freight.

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Proctor are out of the UK as well.

Binks are the importer and Aust Distributor

syreetanajera
    Participant

Could someone clarify the ‘standard’ boom mentioned above.

The rules state:

7.1 a. The boom shall be made from constant section round aluminium alloy 50mm diameter x 1.5, 2 or 3mm

Chriso says:

I have checked with Proctor that the sections are 65-67mm by 49-51mm amd this is class spec.

Mike then says:

Yep! That is our standard section!

So,… is the Binksmarine ‘Proctor/Selden’ boom class legal or not?

If it isn’t who does sell anodised tube suitable for a Sabre boom?

UPDATE:

I’ve just called Binks & spoken to them (a sabre sailor as well so she knew what she was talking about!). The section they sell is circular, not as Chriso stated above.

dulciechristense
    Participant

I was of the understanding Chriso & I were discussing the mast section.

The mast & boom are distinctly different extrusions; the boom section being a simple tube in three optional wall thicknesse as specified in Rule 7.1(a), the mast is an oval shape as specified in measurements 94 & 95.

To my knowledge there is now only one legal mast section made in Australia now, that is the Comalco E11466. I am not aware of any other section that fits our parameters and would be interested to hear about any options people may know of.

I know of two Sabre mast suppliers in Victoria; John Dixon at Iecon in Bayswater stocks masts (he currently has some anodised mast sections) and also sells boom sections in at least two thicknesses; Bob Keeley in Moorabbin has masts, I’m not sure if he has booms.

Boom sections are also available from aluminium suppliers but would be 6 metres or so in length.

Unless the Binks mast is a renamed Comalco extrusion it may not comply. The SA measurer may be familiar with the legality of the Binks section.

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

OK, Here we go.

Just to save all the confusion, I did something anyone else could have done right from the start and rang Binks Directly and verified the facts.

1. The Sabre Mast Section at Binks is a Alcan K64621 (formally Comalco E11466 – but it is the same section). It just happens to appear in the Proctor Spars Section of their website, as that is where all the Spars, regardless of origin, appear – even the Goldspar Sections. This, if I understood correctly, is because that part of the business is called the Proctor Spar Shop.

2. The Boom section is a standard 50mm straight tube, annodised. This type of section is also available, quite often heaps cheaper at any good Steel/Aluminium Supplies business; you can often get a 6m section for the same price as some Yachting Shops charge for a section long enough for a Sabre boom. Again – Ring around.

3. If the guy in Moorabbin is the guy I spoke to last year when I was still living in WA. He had some interesting info on current Sabre/125/Pacer/JD Mast Sections. Evidently, there is a batch that was made up by the 125 Assoc, that a lot of places took on as stock, which were made of a different grade of aluminium to the batch he had made.

He went up a grade of aluminium to get a stiffer, stronger section, but still used the same die and therefore the same shaped section, as a lot of people were having trouble with the 125 Assoc batch sections – They were bending to easily.

Problem, His sections as a result are a bit more expensive – about $50 from memory, though may have been a bit more or less.

Again, ring him and check.

Hope this solves all the questions. The Mast sections are also readily available at Boating Hardware in O’Connor (WA).

Regards . . .

krystalcrooks90
    Participant

Thanks Peter and Mike.

I have also checkd local suppliers and have come to the conclusion that the ability to hike for an extra 2 minutes going up hill will be worth more than paying top rates for spars when its all much of a muchness.

See you both at Elwood for the states.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.