Replacement mainsheet block anchor

Home Forums Other Stuff Newbie Questions Replacement mainsheet block anchor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mjshaw
    Participant

Hello Sabre sailors
    I’m new to the class and need to replace the 6inch SS swivel post that anchors the bottom mainsheet block to the hull. It sheared off at the bearing on Sunday and I need a new one before the State Titles next weekend. I’m in Melbourne. I’m not sure what the part is actually called and if it is common/standard. Mine is a Ronstan anchor point (4 screws) and a Harken block. I’ve studied both the Ronstan and Harken websites but it doesn’t seem to rate a mention. Any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks
    James

rochelledover74
    Participant

Hi

They are made and sold by John Dixon,
    IECON Boats
    2/15 Kearney Street
    Bayswater
    Ph : 9729 1188
    Fax: 9729 0198
    Contact John Dixon
    [email protected]

You can also use a rope strop as an altunative see Chris’s Fitout guide:
    https://www.sabre.org.au/australia_documents/Chris_Dance_Sabre_Rigging_Guide.pdf

mjshaw
    Participant

Thanks Jack
    I’ll give John a call.
    James

lucasa103380
    Participant

As I understand it the stainless post came about due to a rule interpretation that has since changed – a bit of string as per the Chris Dance rigging guide is definitely the standard option these days and is a quick, cheap, easily adjusted and toe-friendly option. Hold it off the floor with a shock cord.

mjshaw
    Participant

Thanks Daen
    I called John Dixon at Iecon but he didn’t want to sell a single unit.
    I’ve been given a Dynaema strop by Wayne Bates which I’ll use this weekend at Somers.
    Thanks for the advice.
    James

clarencebrose67
    Participant

Hi all, I am new to Sabres and just playing around with rigging at the moment. I too am removing the main sheet swivel post and going to a rope strop, my question is – what length strop are most people using? I have looked at a lot of pictures and it seems to vary quite a bit with some above the thwart and some below. Seems to me if its above the thwart the block will crash into the thwart when not under load? Please give me your thoughts, Cheers. Adam

BruceG
    Participant

This is my opinion. Keep it low but have clearance over your toe straps. This will give best purchase. Too high and the block will swing sideways as you trim therefore using a lot of energy to achieve nothing. Although a lot of sailors have the ratchet block on boom and standard block attached to boat which will help overcome the swing. Attach shock cord near outer edge of thwart and run through block attachment to hold your block up from floor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Newbie Questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.