Restoring / Repainting older boats

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Restoring / Repainting older boats

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I was after general information regarding repairing/ restoring older boats.

Specifically when sanding the hull back to repaint is it necesary to reseal the hull with an expoxy type finish before applying extra coats of marine paint, or does marine paint do this job.

Also how many coats of paint would a boat generally need and how many litres do you normally go through per coat.
    I know the number of coats may be dependent on how much old paint is taken back , but was after a general inidication.

Thanks for your replies.

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

If you sand back to raw wood an epoxy sealer/preservative like International Everdure or Bote Cote thinned with their thinning agent can be used. These products penetrate the ply and contain a preservative that stops rot.
    If you use these products you should check that the paint you use is compatible with them.
    There are many choices for the top coat of paint and the nuumber of coats is dependant on the characteristics of the paint, method of application and the finish you require.

Usually 1 litre will cover the hull (sprayed).

If you indicate the exact products you will be using, the method of application an the finish you you require i can give more specific advice

John Dixon

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Thanks John, I’ll have a good look at what you recomended.

I get the feeling this is going to turn into a long term project to get it done properly, so I am currenlty still researching costs, time to complete, brush or spray etc before I dive in.

I appreciate your input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.