Review of Building Guide

Home Forums Other Stuff General News Review of Building Guide

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dulciechristense
    Participant

We are presently revising the Building Guide & Rules with a view to adopting the changes at the AGM in Adelaide if not at an earlier SGM.

Anyone with any thoughts on where changes might be made is invited to contact me with details of their proposals.

I will be circulating suggestions to measurers as they are arrive – I would prefer they be sent in ASAP.

Once changes have been circulated round all the measurers and agreement is reached in that forum, the final draft will go to the state committees for comment before listing it for consideration at a General Meeting of the SSAA.

Mike Simpson
    Secretary SSAA
    43 Margaret St
    Box Hill North 3129

Phone 03 9899 7410

email: [email protected]

OR POST ON THIS FORUM

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi Mike

Good to see you organizing a review of building notes and rules.
    The recent change to rules which allow choice of fittings but measurement of vang still requiring use of an expensive and hard to source fitting is an issue that needs clarifying. Ideally before the Nationals as people building at present have no way of deciding where to place vang on boom.

A simple diagram, like the Spiral class, with a max measurement would suffice. It would not make measuring onerous as the boom is currently required to be attached to mast to make other measurements.
    As the failed motion implied, this measure is not critical to performance or integrity of the spars, so it shouldn’t be a big deal to fix.

As someone building a new Sabre and keen to use a webbing strap to connect onto boom I seek your advice. Would it be okay to extend the line of the current measurement up through the boom to find a new max. measure for the centreline of the vang?

Cheers
    matt
    Zahir.

dulciechristense
    Participant

The rules prescribe that the “vang boom fitting is measured from the innermost edge of the fitting to the aft extremity of the mast when boom is fixed onto the mast gooseneck“.

Measurement 119 requires that this dimension be between 665 & 675 mm.

National Measurer Phil Johnson has indicated to me that he allows use of a webbing strap as long as its nearest point to the mast complies with the above range. That is, no part of the attachment may come inside 665 mm from the rear face of the mast.

The only question I can see with this is whether it is measured with the vang system in place or with the floppy end of the webbing pulled as far as possible toward the mast with the system unloaded.

I will try to clarify this with Phil and repost.

Incidentally, I believe there is a Laser keyplate fitting that will do fine for the Sabre. (Neither of the major Australian fitting manufacturers now make a keyplate but there may be a few floating round in chandlers bins.)

MRS

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Hi Mike
    Thanks for your help with this.
    I have contacted Phillip Johnson to clarify exactly how to measure a webbing connection.

Regarding review of rules-

Given the number of queries in this forum I wonder if publishing just the two pages of rules to go with the measurements on the website might be a solution. I can see the association’s point of view in that it wants to ensure all new boats go through the correct channels.
    There is no way someone can build just from the rules and measurements.
    It would also encourage those who like to tinker to stay within the rules.

Cheers
    matt.
    Zahir

dulciechristense
    Participant

Matt

It is my aim to have at least the Rules and Measurements posted on the website.

I had been holding off in the hope of doing it with the revised rules but that process looks like dragging out till the AGM.

I’ll see what I can do with the current stuff in the meantime.

MRS

liamedleston
    Keymaster

Matt,

We have been having the same discussion for a couple of weeks behind the scenes.

As a result you’ll find the complete set of rules/measurements on the site as of this morning.

Thankfully Mikes skills in PDF are far superior to mine otherwise we be stuck with a scratchy scanned version, as apposed to the beautiful document Mike has provided.

Ashley
    VIc Sabre Committee

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Ashley and Mike

Thanks for organising the rules to be put up on the site. It should help clarify things for owners.

Cheers
    matt
    Zahir.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General News’ is closed to new topics and replies.