Riley RM179 self bailer cut out size

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Riley RM179 self bailer cut out size

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi All.

Can anyone tell me what the cut is size is for the Riley 179 self bailer please. I’m going to install it later but I will cut out and seal in preparation and use it as a rain drainage hole during transport.

Cheers

thor
    Participant

Hi John,

Can I suggest buy the part then cut & fit, even after you get home, just drill a hole or two where it is going to be placed to allow for the drainage during your travels, say a couple10-12mm Dia holes.

When are you coming home? We now have a couple more Sabres sailing out of Indented Head YC, we’re all looking forward in seeing your new boat.

Cheers,
    Murray

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi Murray.

Yes, that was plan B. None in stock up here at the moment so I thought I would seal the full size slot with epoxy while I was sealing the chain plate cut outs. Funny thing, a New Zealand ad for the bailer had a cut out of 340 x 105 or something. Obviously I didn’t pay attention to that advice !!
    49 days Murray , not that I’m counting :)
    She won’t be ready for a bit. Have they still got that old dog of a sabre at the club I could use ?
    It’s great you will be there Murray to help me tune. I plan to do the states and 2015/16 nationals too.
    Cheers

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Message from Brett Young, at YMS:

Cut out size for 179 venturi is 37.5mm wide by 82mm long and put approx. ¼” radius corners in. Add turps to the epoxy mix he uses for sealing the edge to soak in further….

Hope this helps

Charlotte

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hi Charlotte.

Thanks for that. The turps in the epoxy is interesting. I have a thinning agent (bote cote )
    Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.