Sabre Kits

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Does any one know of a company or individual who produces a kit with all the bits and pieces to make a sabre.

I notice that they have them for the mirror overseas and was wondering if there was any chance someone local did it for the sabre.

Thanks for your help.

dulciechristense
    Participant

James Frecheville & Tim Heaney in Paynesville are looking at this. You might ring them and see where the project stands.

(03) 5156 7085

Mike Simpson
    “Fuss Pot” 168 & “Bluesette” 1682

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi Guys, just logged on after my first sail in a sabre for 11 years.
    A fleet of 12 boats in 15 knots on the Gippsland Lakes just can’t be beat. Just like the Nationals of 1994/5.

My business partner Tim Heaney is currently building a boat and plans to run a boatbuilding school next winter. We already have 6 committed to more sabres on the water.

We will be offering kits and will be able to price them once we have built a boat. Idea is for a ply pack, a timber kit (laminates extra), spar and rigging kit. Tim knows sabres well and was a bit of a fast boy in the mid 80’s. Look out. Regards, James (Sabre 90)

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

How have you been going with this project.

Have you had a chance to get an estimated price together.

Also if you were running a school on how to build a Sabre, would you be able to record some of the process on video. It may be a great aid to support the building notes and would help with sale of the kits.

Just a thought.

penniscruggs760
    Participant

Hi all,

My father has just brought the sabre kit from Frecheville & Heaney boats. We are very pleased with the kits. The following link contains all the pricing information or ring James on 03 51567085 during buisness hours.

http://www.fhboats.com.au/Sabre%20sailing%20dingy.htm

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

Those kits look really good.

Would be interested about the average time to put it together for the home handyman.

trenatrotter0
    Participant

Hi everyone

Can anyone that has purchased one of these kits please tell me any good/bad experiences, value for money, delivery options??
    I haven’t started building yet and interested in this option

Thanks

Damien

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

Phil Johnson built my sabre (endorphin 1555) Phils boats have made up atleast 50% of the top 10 in Nationals lately- when i ordered my boat in 1997 Phil had only ever built sabres for himself and resold them- but decided to make kits for those with the time and expertise for assembly- It was my own preference for Phil to assemble the boat including painting for me- I have never looked back and have returned from nearly every Nationals/ states i have entered with some sort of a trophy- undoubtedly it was my omprovement that lead to phil’s boats (express boatworks)being so popular at blackrock- Phil makes them in kit form-the result speak for themselves

lamarstrehlow74
    Participant

whats the going rate for phils kits?

sabre_admin
    Keymaster

my sabre endorphin (1555) was built in 1997 by Phil Johnson it was the first sabre he built commercially (now at black rock races his boats dominate the fleet- up until then he just built them sailed them awhile and sold them- but he started offering to sell kits for handy sailors -when i approached him he only wanted to sell kits and it took a fair bit of convincing for him to build a finished boat- well once it arrived i sailed like a rocket and since know one thought i knew what i was doing they thought that phil must have built a pretty quick boat-the rest of the story is history- so i think you could get a kit from phil and i reckon the lead time would be worth it- on a light note when i got my first sabre i really did not know what i was doing and gave it the name WOMBAT everyone thought it was a cute name -if only they knew the real reason Waste Of Money ,Brains And Time -there you go ha ha

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.