Switchblade

Home Forums Development & Design Rigs & Sails Switchblade

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sabre_wa
    Participant

You can view the Switchblade test sail clip via the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0IEZlCYd9g

or if that doesn’t work for any reason search “Switchblade Sailing at Blairgowrie” or via my username “thewedgeteam”

Enjoy…

Andy Mac
    Queens Boulevard

rochelledover74
    Participant

@andymac wrote:

You can view the Switchblade test sail clip via the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0IEZlCYd9g

or if that doesn’t work for any reason search “Switchblade Sailing at Blairgowrie” or via my username “thewedgeteam”

Enjoy…

Andy Mac
    Queens Boulevard

Looks great. why don’t sabres update their sail plan???

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

While it all looks very nice, switching to a mylar sail has the disadvantage of a shorter lifespan than a dacron sails.

Would still love to try one though.

Are their any specifications available? Is it just a sail change, or is a new mast required. The current blank has some length left in it if they wish to look at a taller rig without changing the mast blank, and so no increase in cost to that aspect.

I would also suggest the people trialing the changes consider swapping the current Sabre Centreboard for a Optimist Centreboard. The slightly narrower board will tack /jybe easier, but the Opti board is longer, so deeper in the water.

In respect to control lines, I would try some form of end boom sheeting for the main sheet and clear it out of the centre of the boat. This would also serve to take the main sheet pressure off the middle of the boom.

Just my thoughts anyway

Merry christmas all

Peter Wilcox

darrelcani806
    Participant

I was interested to read Peter’s Post. Last year I built a Switchblade sail with the same area as my Hooper. the Luff is the same, Leech is some 40 mm shorter and the foot is 550 mm shorter. Hence no need to change mast or boom also it is not necessary to alter the mainsheet position as there would be little mechanical advantage.

The sail performs well and I have found it slightly quicker to windward and reaching but has shortcomings on a square run but this only may need refinement.

I like the sail and use it if I just go for a sail. I have trialed against a conventional sail and was only slower on the square runs. I see no reason why both sails cannot be allowed after specification are made for the Switchblade.

I don’t think it is necessary to use an Opti board but I believe the Sabre foils are the boats downfall. I found using a centreboard 75mm narrower and 125mm longer and the rudder 75mm longer altered the forces applied by the centreboard and created greater interaction between the respective foils. The boat was more reactive and forgiving tacking and gybing and much easier to sail especially square when it was less ‘windward tippy’ and easier to sail on the windward chine.

My findings and comments
    Alan Wilson
    HelterSkelter-1906

BruceG
    Participant

If it is not broken-don’t fix it.
    We have on of the fastest growing classes in Australia and probably the only popular national class that can be easily owner built.
    Why woul we want to change it?
    I agree the foils are rubbish and the sails/rigging could be vastly improved but everyone has the same crappy set-up and that what makes the class good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Rigs & Sails’ is closed to new topics and replies.