Thwart Position

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Thwart Position

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    syreetanajera
    Participant

I’m replacing the thwart. What is the position on the thwart (i.e. transom to thwart distance)?

The old thwart overhung the back of the support at the rear of the centreboard case & there was a small piece of timbe connected to the front edge of the thwart that covered the front edge of the back of the centreboard case. If it can be moved about 15mm forward from where it was then the thwart won’t overhanng at the back & will cover the back of the centreboard case.

Does the traveller rope have to be tied off at the thwart or can it pass through the thwart & be made off on the floor at the base of the centreboard case?

dulciechristense
    Participant

Andrew

No one appears to have picked up your request so I’ll give it a go.

The thwart is positioned with its front edge at the rear of the centrecase slot.

The “small piece of timber” you mention is the thwart strengthener and is a required part of the boat – I recommend you construct it of 19mm plywood.

The mainsheet hawse must be of cord and anchored with a knot on one of the holes in the thwart and led thru’ the other side and back to a cleat (My boat has a clam cleat C11 Mk2 set on top of a mounting block fixed to the thwart strengthener) for ready adjustment on the water.

Be careful to get the holes for the mainsheet hawse within tolerance – between 500 & 510 mm apart centre to centre – keep them as small as possible to avoid reducing the strength of the thwart.

Mike Simpson

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.