timber

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heymacaulay
    Keymaster

hi all again
    i am having trouble getting 5mm ply for the btm of my boat. Can anyone suggest where to get some(im in sa).
    I know i can use 4mm then add glass but im very worried that the boat will end up more than 41kg.
    Any tricks to get the weight down if the btm is glassed??.
    Also do all state ass. carry boom and mast stock?? or just in victoria??
    Thanks heaps
    ronny fry
    sabre 1652
    the pony xpress

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Don’t know where you would get it from Ronny as i live in Queensland but maybe start looking for timer called gaboon. I think its 5mm or 6mm but its really light.

Ryan 👿 😈 👿

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

I’m nearing completion on a Sabre. I looked everywhere for 5 mm ply and the response taht I got is that they just don’t make it anymore. I was a bit worried about the glassing process but after having a go it it’s actually pretty easy and I would not hesitate to do it again.

There are a few tricks to keeping the weight down and I found that West System has a very informative web site for epoxying http://www.westsystem.com I believe the trick is to keep the amount of resin used to the minimum amount as extra resin doesn’t actually make the mat any stronger. A plastic scraper is the best for applying not using a brush. A dry roller then can be used to remove any excess.

I’m not completely finishes my boat so I’m not exactly sure how heavy it will end up. A good person to talk to would be Phil Johnson. He gave me a few pointers and seemed happy to do so. I think his contact details are on the website.

Good luck Shane

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.