Timbers used in boat construction

Home Forums Development & Design Boat Construction Timbers used in boat construction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    asaj7265583042
    Participant

Hello all,

I would be grateful if anyone could elaborate on what types of wood they used apart from the ply when they built their sabre. I’m referring to the hardwoods and softwoods used for things like glue blocks, battens on floor, centre case frame, side tank top stringers etc. Any advice would be great ! Cheers John

darrelcani806
    Participant

John
    I am not a boat builder but in re-framing my boat I used surian cedar for all stringers and frames supports, treated pine for all backing blocks and meranti for the top rails of the centre board case to the centre case bulkhead. I also used treated pine over western red cedar for gunnels and treated pine for the floor supports.
    Also be careful and don’t smoother areas to be glued with epoxy glue, as it is heavy and proper clamping or pressure is sufficient to get a good bond. Same with glassing use only enough epoxy and keep rolling the glass until all epoxy is absorbed as again the epoxy adds weight.

Weight should not be a problem. I weighed all timber and epoxy used when re-framing having weighed the spoil I removed and was able to reasonably know the final weight.

HelterSkelter
    Alan Wilson

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thank you Alan.

I will be a bit limited for choice given my location. I will have to look around.

regards

kakao
    Participant

Hi John

I used Western Red Cedar for everything except the gunwhale. I used 7mm of Vic Ash over cedar for the gunwhale. 4.5 years use in strong wind and waves and no breakdowns. I would use a bigger section for the top of the centrecase if I built another boat to improve stiffness at that point.

Harold

asaj7265583042
    Participant

Thank you Harold.

I appreciate your reply. I imagine I can get hold of that up here in the NT. I will email you with some other queries I have also,

Kind regards John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.