Toe Straps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vetadalton08688
    Participant

Gidday all

After sailing my lone Sabre against a fleet of Lasers and Corsairs for the past six months, I need to carry out some minor maintenance during the Christmas break, including the replacement of the toe straps.

Currently they run from the transom to the thwarts.

I am finding this a little inconvenient as I find I generally have to sail astride the thwarts to get acceptable trim, especially to windward. Consequently I have had to adopt one-legged hiking – a practice that has caused me a little consternation at times!

Do the toe straps have to terminate at the thwarts, or can they be continued forward towards the front buoyancy tank and anchored into a stringer with, say, a saddle? Or is there another recommended way of terminating them?

As I have no other Sabre to compare to, I am unsure as to what is allowable, or works really well.

Thanks for any help

Petro

heymacaulay
    Keymaster

Hi Petro,

To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions on toe straps. Just make sure they are attached to a strong point of the boat. Most people attach them to the front buoyancy tank while others attach them to the front of the centreboard case. I have even seen one boat with two sets of toe straps – one led to the front for beating, the other set attached out wide for hiking when going downwind on heavy days. I think this is a bit excessive, but it emphasises the flexibility you have within the rules.

Regards,

Alan Riley
    Sabre 1564

vetadalton08688
    Participant

Thanks Alan for the advice and your suggestions.

I’ll replace them sometime over the next few weeks, ready for the second part of our season.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Boat Construction’ is closed to new topics and replies.